What's YOUR Opinion On ...?
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Publishing "family stuff" online

+8
phoenix
sunset30
Jeliwobble
Smartiepants
Lou81
Slinky
Henri
aloveofeachcolour
12 posters

Go down

Publishing "family stuff" online Empty Publishing "family stuff" online

Post  aloveofeachcolour Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:20 pm

Hi

Are you very private about what you talk about online? Do you publish your kids' photos, or keep as much anonymity as possible? Do you talk about dd/ds/dh, use initials or just go right ahead and mention names? Do you think it is dangerous to use identifying info, or think that it is a tiny drop in an ocean of internet data?

I plan to keep my anonymity on here. Having just left a forum due to getting the collywobbles about the amount of info I published on it, I think I will keep things to myself for now.......

Me
x
aloveofeachcolour
aloveofeachcolour

Back to top Go down

Publishing "family stuff" online Empty Re: Publishing "family stuff" online

Post  Henri Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:28 pm

I'm not worried about people finding me and stalking me or anything, but I try to be respectful of what I post when it involves other people. I wouldn't want other people posting certain bits of personal info about ME on the internet, so I try to be respectful of what info I give about other people. I'm too lazy to try to hide my identity and while I wouldn't post my address or anything more specific than the general area I live in, I don't worry too much about saying I'm from borough x, or giving birth at hospital y.
People know M's full name, but for some reason I like using the initial. I'm not sure what I'll do once baby is born about her name. Ill probably use her initial or her nickname, but I won't go to lengths to hide what her name is. Because I like it and I'm proud of it and I want people to tell me how lovely it is, lol.

I hate DD/DS/DH/DF/DP. I have no real rational reason for hating them, they're just so impersonal and almost de-personalising. I find it easier to remember people if I have even a initial to work with. Otherwise they're all just nameless, faceless drones to me.

If people wanted to, they could very easily access an astonishing and frankly frightening amount of personal data about almost anyone. But they'd have to want to. I doubt most of us are going to inspire people to want to do that much work, unless we were already easy targets in the first place for some reason, and then it doesnt matter what you post on an internet forum. It's more than easy to find things out some other way.
Henri
Henri

Back to top Go down

Post  Slinky Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:37 am

I was going to start using DH, DS and DD.. Never really have before, I'm more of an Inital person.. so just for you, will continue to do so!

I write a blog, so every excruitiating moment of G's (that's dd, lol) life is laid out for all to see. The same with L (ds) and K (dh) I don't mention everything, but I sometimes forget that other people can read it.. whether they do or not.
I don't agree with writing things that will negatively impact any of them... and wouldn't do it if I had a clue that someone who actually knew us would read it.. The impersonality of the internet is my friend, I suppose.
Slinky
Slinky

Back to top Go down

Post  Lou81 Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:43 am

I feel very uncomfortable posting pics, giving names dates etc. Could be just me though. I like being anonymous. I did see on 'another' forum where people were doubting a certain lady and branding her a troll because she didn't post photos of her children. Eh, maybe she just didn't want anyone and everyone on a public forum to see them. No

P.S. I'm loving all the emoticons!!!!! :affraid: can you tell?
Lou81
Lou81

Back to top Go down

Post  Henri Sun Apr 26, 2009 1:21 am

Slinky: Just to prove my point, I think I now know exactly who you are, based on those initials. Despite the fact that your username and icon are different. If you had started using the 'Darling...' acronym it might have been months before I figured it out!
Henri
Henri

Back to top Go down

Post  Slinky Sun Apr 26, 2009 1:29 am

Nah.. the "..." would have given me away eventually!

Very Happy
Slinky
Slinky

Back to top Go down

Post  Henri Sun Apr 26, 2009 1:52 am

You underestimate the extent of my brain-mush.

My intellect is current the consistency of Butterscotch Angel Delight.
Henri
Henri

Back to top Go down

Post  Smartiepants Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:04 pm

I don't see why it's a problem as long as you're not stupid enough to give out full names and too much information that may get you into trouble! Photos, again i'm happy to put online but I won't put naked ones, or one of my house next to the street sign for example!
I don't see the point in hiding your own identity, or change who you are as you're true peronsailty will always creep back! I've tried all sorts of forums, been myself and also tried to be someone i'm not, and it just doesn't work to pretend.
Smartiepants
Smartiepants

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeliwobble Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:37 am

I'm not interesting enough to stalk.

There's so much internetal info on me for those who'd like to dig. I won't go so far as to say you could find my address, but I would think you'd get very close to where I live using photographic evidence.

Now, dd1 (LOL!) will be getting her own compy by year's end (starts middle school in Sept) and THAT scares the BEJAYSUS out of me...
Jeliwobble
Jeliwobble

Back to top Go down

Post  sunset30 Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:13 am

I probably should be more careful. I post loads of pics and info. I TRY not to be EXTREMELY specific, but I doubt very much that it would take more than about 3 minutes to find anything you wanted to know!

It IS a bit scary, but I refuse to live like I amascared of being a whole person with a whole life, becuase there are SOME people who might exploit that! I TRY to be financially responsible with info, and am not really bothered about being stalked - honestly, it wouldn't be worth it, I am extremely dull!
Lx
sunset30
sunset30

Back to top Go down

Post  phoenix Fri May 08, 2009 1:58 am

I used to be extremely wary about anything personal. However the friendliness of my other fave forum made me let my guard down and I did use proper names and posted photographs. I shall try not to do that quite so much anymore but I'm now addicted to blogging so photos will still get published, without identifying facts.

On my blog I even change my friends' names, though. I am very aware that they may not want me talking about them or their children in cyberspace.
phoenix
phoenix

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeliwobble Fri May 08, 2009 2:04 am

My family have been on the internet for so long now, I don't think I could hide them if I tried...I'd have to track down all my posts everywhere...

My hubby is much more wary, restricts access to his FB photos and rarely posts anywhere but FB. I have a blog though, so I'm like 'meh' about it. I rarely, rarely mention anyone else in my posts though. The X-Factor post the other day was a RARE occurrence! I think I mentioned my brother and sisters' names on the 'other' site twice in all the time I've been on there.
Jeliwobble
Jeliwobble

Back to top Go down

Post  Cadiva Fri May 08, 2009 3:19 am

Doesn't bother me in the slightest to be honest. I've been on the internet since the days of dial up in the mid 1990s and have pretty much become immune to the fear of people knowing who I am and where I live. Besides which, the places where I would post that kind of information are forums where I either already know the people or I'm potentially buying things from them or where access is restricted to people I allow to look at it.
Cadiva
Cadiva

Back to top Go down

Post  beadyeye Fri May 08, 2009 11:01 pm

It doesnt bother me either. I have photos of DD2 on the other place ( the better side). I do try not to mention hubby's name or the kids names but I have been known to when they have done something I have been proud of or have needed help with any issues DD1 has had. I have more photos of them than anything else on my FB but only my friends can see them.
beadyeye
beadyeye

Back to top Go down

Post  3for3 Sat May 09, 2009 12:54 am

I always feel i maybe should care more about it than I do! I wonder if i am niaive in some way because if i'm honest I don't really mind posting stuff. Hmm i wonder if secretly i want a stalker Very Happy OMG ONLY JOKING what am i saying?! shocked! hehehe
I would hope i know common sense - don't give out financial or too much personal detail...but usually use names. I have got into the dp/dd etc thing only recently really and I think it's coz another site i went on people only seemed to use it and i got used to it. I do prefer real names.
I try to be very respectful if I am referring to anyone else when posting and be as vague as i can to make a point whilst thinking would I be ok if someone posted this about me...sometimes tho i forget that i am posting to a public forum...esp if you get to know people well online it can almost feel like you're the only ones reading it...and you forget about lurkers Wink

I have posted pics before now and would again. I have to be honest tho if someone doesn't want to reveal anything that is ok by me and i respect their right to privacy. The only thing i struggled with when i started posting on forums was what to call people...as in when someone doesn't sign off with their name i didn't know if it was correct etiquette to refer to them as their usernames whistling

There will always be people who abuse and commit crimes and of course we can all be sensible but I refuse to spend my days worrying irrationally about it. And in honesty I am someone who does a huge amount online so if anyone was ever that interested in me i reckon they could find a lot out just by using 192.com and bt lol
Maybe someone will break into my accounts and pay my debts off??? Any takers??? hehehehehe

Jo x
3for3
3for3

Back to top Go down

Post  cu2 Wed May 13, 2009 6:21 pm

me4me, group hug, thanks for open arms, b4u, lotza love
cu2
cu2

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content