What's YOUR Opinion On ...?
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

"The birds and the bees"

3 posters

Go down

"The birds and the bees" Empty "The birds and the bees"

Post  aloveofeachcolour Thu May 21, 2009 10:17 pm

How do you think children should be taught sex education? What age is appropriate? Should it be a phased approach, where you start off on a "need to know basis"? Are there any "no go" areas? What about the emotional side to a sexual relationship? What about the blunt facts?

WYO?
aloveofeachcolour
aloveofeachcolour

Back to top Go down

"The birds and the bees" Empty Re: "The birds and the bees"

Post  3for3 Sat May 23, 2009 12:14 am

I really don't know how to handle this one with my lo's. On the one side I want to be open and honest to help my girls develop a healthy confident relationships with their body and relationship and also know what they are ok about and not ok about. On the other I am terrified about over sexualising my kids before they are ready - if that makes sense. Almost a fear of taking their innocence and childhood away too quickly...whilst feeling that my own view seems a bit victorian as I want well rounded confident children lol cake and eat it Very Happy

I think for me a phased approach fits with how we do things. Introducing relationships and emotions goes on from a very early age so i guess we have already started in one way. In terms of birds and the bees i think i need to do some more research to decide how i feel about it and what approach we will take. I want to be open and feel comfortable about most things...yet still cannot bring myself to use proper terms for personal body areas!

I reckon there are things you can introduce from a very early age that is done in such a way that it educates without overcomplicating. For example i want my children to know about 'good touching and bad touching' (not sure of proper title) that i know is done in states but not sure about uk wrt abuse. I do want them to know about bodily changes and that everyone is different. Emotional deveopment for me is a must component as it goes hand in hand. Relationships also are so important to cover.

In terms of blunt facts, for me i don't know the best age. All kids are different so it is tough to say what is right. Again research needed for me!

I realise i'm not really answering the original post but i am intrigued as to others ideas on this too as it is such a minefield of opinion.

Jo x
3for3
3for3

Back to top Go down

Post  beadyeye Sun May 24, 2009 9:33 pm

I have a 11 year old girl ( who is very hormonal), I have always answered any questions that the kids have had with an answer that was suitable for there age at that time. I had to have that chat with DD1 when she was 9. she had been watch BB and a boy and a girl where under the covers and she asked what they where doing I said oh having a cuddle and she said "I thought that they where having S.E.X.. so I sat her down and asked her what she knew about that word and I filled in the gaps. The period talk last year was hard (for me). I also wanted to be the one to have "that talk" with my kids as I dont feel that it is a teacher place. DD1 did sex ed this year and last year ( P6 and P7).

I dont have a clue on how to have that talk with DS so I am leaving that one up to daddy. kids learn a lot of this stuff in the playground but all lot of the talk in the playground is hear say and half truths so I think that it is our job to sit them down get them to tell you what they know and fill in the gaps and tell them the truth.
beadyeye
beadyeye

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down