What's YOUR Opinion On ...?
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New family pets

4 posters

Go down

New family pets Empty New family pets

Post  aloveofeachcolour Thu May 21, 2009 11:02 pm

Although this isn't something I am considering myself, I wondered what other people thought about getting a new pet just after losing another. Knowing that our old cat was in the autumn of her life Sad , we got a kitten last year so that when we did eventually lose the old dear, the kids would still have a pet, without thinking we had replaced the old one. She was too special for that.

Having said that, it is likely we will get a kitten at the end of the year, early part of next year, coz in the past we always had two cats. I just don't want my kids thinking it is easy to replace something that was so part of the family.

So - WYO?
aloveofeachcolour
aloveofeachcolour

Back to top Go down

New family pets Empty Re: New family pets

Post  fatcat2 Thu May 21, 2009 11:19 pm

We hope to get another dog before my Storm goes to the big dogs bowl in the sky, as I don't want to feel like I'm replacing him (we would get the same breed) but as they can cost around £1100 we still have a bit of saving up to do, if we don't get another soon then it won't be for a long time or a diffrent breed.

I don't think it shows your children that pets are replaceable if you get a new pet before another dies but mabye it would if you got another as soon as they died it could do?!
fatcat2
fatcat2

Back to top Go down

Post  aloveofeachcolour Thu May 21, 2009 11:43 pm

Yes, that's exactly it, and that was the reasoning behind our lovely little Chester!
aloveofeachcolour
aloveofeachcolour

Back to top Go down

Post  sunset30 Fri May 22, 2009 1:08 am

We're getting a tortoise that will hopefully outlive us all - thus avoiding the issue entirely!
Lx
sunset30
sunset30

Back to top Go down

Post  phoenix Fri May 22, 2009 9:51 pm

Hi Liz,
As you know we lost our cat last week too, so this has been preying on my mind this week.

We've been looking for a kitten on and off for maybe six months, but without much effort. I couldn't decide whether it was kinder to buy a kitten when older cat was with us, or if that would annoy her. Now that that decision has been made for me, and I'm still kind of, -ish, sort of, maybe looking for a pregnant queen, looking to adopt a pair of kittens in a couple of months. Not straight away, to "replace" our cat, because we can't replace her. But I won't turn down any kittens that came our way, either.

My children are old enough, and sadly experienced enough with death, to know we aren't trying to fill a gap - except for the youngest who is young enough for it all to pass over her head anyway.
phoenix
phoenix

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down