What's YOUR Opinion On ...?
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kids and mobile phones

+4
beadyeye
Slinky
Sassybabe
aloveofeachcolour
8 posters

Go down

Kids and mobile phones Empty Kids and mobile phones

Post  aloveofeachcolour Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:43 pm

Hi

What do you think is the right age for a child to own a mobile phone? Is there a right age at all? When are they useful, when are they inappropriate? Does your child own a mobile?

Let me know your thoughts....

Me
x
aloveofeachcolour
aloveofeachcolour

Back to top Go down

Kids and mobile phones Empty Kids and Mobile Phones

Post  Sassybabe Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:28 am

I have to say I think mobiles are a blessing when your kids are of the age to play out with their friends. I don't agree with them in school, but out of school it's just great peace of mind to know you can get in touch with them and find out where they are. It certainly saves the carpet when they're 10 minutes late (my hubby's a pacer!) My lad was 11 when he had one, and I think that was a good age. I have seen 7 and 8 year olds with them mind, and I'm not sure they reaalllly need a mobile?? At the risk of sounding like an overprotective, overbearing parent - at 7 and 8 I still liked to have him within sight. So is a phone necessary?
Sassybabe
Sassybabe

Back to top Go down

Kids and mobile phones Empty Re: Kids and mobile phones

Post  Slinky Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:35 am

DD (13) was given a mobile when she started Secondary School. It's a two bus ride away from home and I wanted her to be safe. It worked for a while, and then all her friends got mobile phones.
I now find it impossible to get through to her as the phone is constantly stuck to her ear.. and she spends the majority of her life texting (in an incomprehensible language)

I completely disagree with under 10's having mobiles. It can only be parents giving in to moaning children, and children succumbing to peer pressure.

I agree with Sassybabe.. Under 10 and I want them where I can see them!
Slinky
Slinky

Back to top Go down

Post  aloveofeachcolour Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:40 am

I had a new mobile last week (some of you on here will remember the fuss I made about it). My DD (who is a definite under-10) asked if she could have the old one. Needless to say, I said no - but for a second or two, I thought - "How cute, she could have her own phone". But only for a second or two. Under 10's - no. Over that - maybe......

Alec
aloveofeachcolour
aloveofeachcolour

Back to top Go down

Post  beadyeye Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:19 pm

my eldest 2 have had mobiles for years. DD1 got her where she was 8 as we where going on holiday and daddy wanted her to be able to phone him and DS got his when he was 7, so that he could phone me whenever he wanted to while he was at his dads (long story). At first I bought there top ups but now they have to earn the money for them as they where going throught there top up within hours of getting it.
beadyeye
beadyeye

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeliwobble Sat May 09, 2009 4:51 am

Eldest will be going to middle school in the fall (she'll be 11 in November). The middle school she's going to is within close walking distance to the centre of town so she will be getting her own phone and going on my call plan. Because she will be on my call plan, I will be able to see all her calls and vet who she's making them to until such time as she can afford her own call plan. If necessary, I will remove the phone from her possession and with that will go the privilege of walking up to town!

I'm not a hovery parent AT ALL but I want her to feel safe as she starts to venture out on her own. Her having her own phone is one way we can do that.
Jeliwobble
Jeliwobble

Back to top Go down

Post  Anybugger Sat May 09, 2009 4:57 pm

I agree that when children move to "big school" they should have mobile phones for the ease of contact,

Luckily K will be 13 when he goes so I get a bit longer. His school now won't allow them, although the boarders get to leave one with the matron, but have to ask to use it. (the days of the phonebox are long gone!!)

I will definitely be buying set a top up, or a fixed monthly programme.
Anybugger
Anybugger

Back to top Go down

Post  Cadiva Sat May 09, 2009 5:28 pm

I agree, I think once they're going to secondary school they would probably benefit from having one if they're walking to school on their own/catching the bus etc. I think if they live such a distance away that they're still being take to school by their parents, then nope they don't need one.

My criteria would be that they were traveling on their own and I would also have them on some sort of fixed calling plan so I could limit who and how many times they were using the phone.
Cadiva
Cadiva

Back to top Go down

Post  Torm Fri May 15, 2009 1:25 pm

I have to say i think children should carry one but what is a right age? I have got one for my oldest son who is 10 this year and he has had it for a year now. Even though i do not let him wander far i like to know that he knows how to use a phone should there ever be an emergency and also if i want hima nd he is round his friedns house which is 4 doors down i can text or call him quickly, rather than go hunting for him. I always check his phone and go through it make sure he hasnt called America or anywhere else extravagant lol, also just to see how he is with it and there is nothing that should not be on there. So yes if old enough and responsible enough go for it
Torm
Torm

http://tandgsforums.informe.com/forum/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down