What's YOUR Opinion On ...?
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Advertising Abortions

5 posters

Go down

Advertising Abortions Empty Advertising Abortions

Post  Admin Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:00 pm

News Story Link

The United Kingdom May Launch Abortion Commercials

The advertisements would run during prime-time evening slots on major channels including ITV, Channel 4, Sky and other broadcasters. Any organizations seeking to advertise pregnancy-related services would have to specify if they offer information about abortion or not. Marie Stopes International, Britain’s largest pregnancy advisory organization that also provides abortion, said it would consider running ads right away.

WYO? Is this a step too far? Is it a good thing? A necessary thing?
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://whatsyouropinionon.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Advertising Abortions Empty Advertising abortions

Post  Sassybabe Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:10 am

In my opinion, not just a step too far - a great big leap! Don't get me wrong, I believe in personal choice. I have made my choice and know I would never be able to have an abortion, under any circumstance, but I can understand why, for some women, it feels like the only option and would never say they made the 'wrong' decision. But to advertise it as a service, like . . . like . . . getting your hair cut or valeting your car - No! I'm sure their offering would be 'tastefully' done, but it's still up there with aspirational lifestyle ads and the sales patter of the marketing luvvies - this is not the right place to discuss such a personal and potentially life-changing subject. Please, don't try. Leave it to the experienced counsellors to help guide people in the right direction.
Sassybabe
Sassybabe

Back to top Go down

Advertising Abortions Empty Re: Advertising Abortions

Post  aloveofeachcolour Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:23 am

Wow, like this response.

I agree - just not a good idea. I just don't have the words that the pp does....

Alec
aloveofeachcolour
aloveofeachcolour

Back to top Go down

Post  Sassybabe Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:57 am

What's pp?
Sassybabe
Sassybabe

Back to top Go down

Post  aloveofeachcolour Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:29 pm

Sorry, another acronym - pp = previous post, or previous poster

Alec
aloveofeachcolour
aloveofeachcolour

Back to top Go down

Post  craftybecs Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:13 pm

I agree, its a really bad idea.
Its like shutting the gate when the horse has bolted.
Surely we would be better advertising safe sex and better relationships. At least then less girls would get into these situations, which, lets face it, is who its advertising too.
It gives people an easy way out instead of learning how to behave responsibly in the first place.

Becs

craftybecs

Back to top Go down

Post  Sassybabe Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:44 am

I agree - I think they should teach teenagers more about real life, real relationships and parenting. Give young teenage girls one of those pregnancy suits to wear and one of those dolls that acts like a real baby. Perhaps they would think twice??
Sassybabe
Sassybabe

Back to top Go down

Post  aloveofeachcolour Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:46 pm

Erm, I have been thinking about this one and have a different point of view to put across. What about someone who has been a victim of abuse or rape, maybe a young girl who has no one to turn to. If there were adverts on the tv, at least she would have contact details for somewhere where she could get valuable advice and if an abortion was her choice then fair enough.

Just offering a different angle for us to consider........

Alec
aloveofeachcolour
aloveofeachcolour

Back to top Go down

Post  sarabone Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:00 pm

Depends how it's advertised. If it's a "if you're pregnant and need some help considering your options we're here to help" then fine, in fact great. I can see that even just going to your GP would be quite scary for someone quite young as your GP is likely someone you associate with your mum. I didn;t go to the GP by myself until I was like 13/14 and until i was 16 going there during term time required a note from my mum or the school would have called her to ask where i was. And other than your GP where DO you to ask about abortion advice? Really, i honestly have no idea. I'm highly unlikely ever to need it but it's not all that long since I was a sexually active 16 year old who probably would have had an abortion had my contraception ever failed me and I would have had no idea where to go. Obviously actually "advertsing abortions" would be a terrible idea. It needs to be clear what a huge thing an abortion is. But letting people know where to go for advice can only be a good thing.

sarabone

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down