What's YOUR Opinion On ...?
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Gurkas and their entry to Britain

+2
Colette67
Slinky
6 posters

Go down

The Gurkas and their entry to Britain Empty The Gurkas and their entry to Britain

Post  Slinky Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:40 am

The Ghurkas have finally been given leave to stay/live in Britain if they would like to. However they have to take a special test to determine whether they can or not. It is reported that this test is virtually impossible to pass.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/gurkha-fury-over-limited-living-rights-1673986.html

Is this fair? After their bravery and commitment to fighting for Britain, should they have to jump through any hoops at all?
Slinky
Slinky

Back to top Go down

The Gurkas and their entry to Britain Empty Re: The Gurkas and their entry to Britain

Post  Guest Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:47 pm

No, they bloody shouldn't have to sit an impossible test!

They should have as much right as any British Citizen to live here.

It annoys me that the government are being so damned ungrateful - perhaps people will decide not to help us if we ever find ourselves in such a position again, seeing how we treat those who saved our lives.

I'd be interested in the results of a Nationwide vote on the subject.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

The Gurkas and their entry to Britain Empty Re: The Gurkas and their entry to Britain

Post  Colette67 Sun Apr 26, 2009 2:23 pm

I agree with Marley, it is an insult to these men and their families that we will not allow them to stay here.

When my company took over a big security contract we were short of people for a time and we were sent a team of ghurkas who were absolutely wonderful people. They were polite, hard working and extremely punctual, you had to force them to go home at times as they would always want to help out.

The Government should be ashamed of themselves

Colette67

Back to top Go down

Post  Oakley Sun Apr 26, 2009 2:33 pm

That is utterly appalling. I am often flabbergasted by our Governments' decisions, but it's not often I am as disgusted as I am by this particular story.

pale
Oakley
Oakley

Back to top Go down

Post  Slinky Sun Apr 26, 2009 4:38 pm

http://www.gurkhajustice.org.uk/

A petition..

The way this government treats men who supported our soldiers without hesitation is appalling. Although the Tory oppostion may say that they "condemn" the current stance..I can't see them doing anything about it when they come to power either.

Just makes me very, very angry.
Slinky
Slinky

Back to top Go down

Post  mummyloves3 Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:37 pm

Why dont they wanna go home to India?
mummyloves3
mummyloves3

Back to top Go down

Post  phoenix Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:24 pm

mummyloves3 wrote:Why dont they wanna go home to India?

Because they aren't from India?

They are paid, while serving in the British Army, a lower wage (since reformed) and receive a much lower pension (not reformed). If they go to Nepal after leaving the army they face severe hardship. The whole thing is disgusting. They put their lives on the line for Britain, and have done for 200 years, and they should be treated accordingly.

As for home - is that the place you were born, or the place you have lived your entire adult life? Surely this IS their home?

Last edited by phoenix on Mon May 04, 2009 2:23 am; edited 1 time in total
phoenix
phoenix

Back to top Go down

Post  mummyloves3 Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:31 pm

Woteva
mummyloves3
mummyloves3

Back to top Go down

Post  Cadiva Thu May 07, 2009 1:42 am

I think it's sickening that we're quite happy for these people to potentially die for us (we in general obviously) but we don't then think they're good enough to live in the UK when they've finished putting their lives on the line. My grandfather served with some Ghurkas during the Second World War and he couldn't praise them highly enough.

Why, if membership of the European Union allows people from those countries to freely come into the UK to work and settle, why the heck shouldn't people who are fighting for Britain, have the same right.
Cadiva
Cadiva

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down