What's YOUR Opinion On ...?
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Do you grown your own Veg?

+5
Henri
northern soul
aloveofeachcolour
prettypinkflowers
Anybugger
9 posters

Go down

Do you grown your own Veg? Empty Do you grown your own Veg?

Post  Anybugger Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:57 pm

Is anyone on here a veggie grower?

I have started this year (well grew a few things in the beds last year) but this year i am making an effort.
I have peas, runner beans, broad beans, corgettes, brocolli, sprouts, butternut squash, salad and carrots. These are in wooded raised mushroom boxes I got from a mushroom factory - instant raised beds but a bit small.
Most of the plants came to me via FIL who grew them from seed (did the hard bit for me!)

I am also going to grow strawberries in hanging baskets and toms in grow bags.

I would love to know if anyone else here has any tips or wants to share stories.
hannah x
Anybugger
Anybugger

Back to top Go down

Do you grown your own Veg? Empty Re: Do you grown your own Veg?

Post  prettypinkflowers Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:37 pm

I am growing vege this year, well I am digging holes and Harrison is planting seeds!
So far we have planted potatoes (only 11, number 12 ended up under H's pillow, its his friend!!!), carrots, lettuces, beans, tomatoes, peas, corn, parsley, courgettes, cucumbers, tomatoes, spring onions, broccoli and something else but I can;t remember what it is, it is growing well so we will wait and see what appears ...
I have two vege patches, made from railway sleepers, H's dad made one last year and I made the other last month
I am hoping that we will end up with a garden full of yummy veges but if not we have had so much fun making the garden and planting the seeds (started them off indoors) so its not entirely a waste if nothing grows!
We are also growing sunflowers (like Bob the Builder apparently does???) these MUST grow or I will have a very sad little boy! I have put extra seeds in all around the garden in the hope thatat least one will grown big and strong ... surely one will grow for us!!!
I have never actually grown any vege myself before, last year H's dad planted all the seeds so I just transferred them into the garden when he told me to, and some he planted out for us but this year it is all mine!!!
jx
flower

prettypinkflowers

Back to top Go down

Post  aloveofeachcolour Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:07 pm

We have a little veggie patch, and last year managed peas and carrots - the broccoli didn't do very well, got eaten to death by caterpillars and was v slow. I think we started a bit late though....

This year we have planted potatoes, carrots, parsnips and onions. It's more my husband's thing - he does all the dirty work, with the kids lending a helping hand of course! Will let you know how they turn out!

We also have a pot for herbs - coriander, thyme, rosemary and some parsley.
aloveofeachcolour
aloveofeachcolour

Back to top Go down

Post  northern soul Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:46 pm

I have planted courgettes, pumpkins and tomatoes - just started so nothing too ambitious....really enjoyed doing it as well - quite relaxing and my son enjoyed it....

Think it must have really took off "growing your own" as all the garden centres seem to have a range - never noticed them before.... :?:

northern soul

Back to top Go down

Post  Anybugger Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:02 pm

northern soul wrote:I have planted courgettes, pumpkins and tomatoes - just started so nothing too ambitious....really enjoyed doing it as well - quite relaxing and my son enjoyed it....

Think it must have really took off "growing your own" as all the garden centres seem to have a range - never noticed them before.... :?:

Yep it seems to be all the rage now, I hope it is as easy as growing flowers!! I have been told the key is water water water (especially on things like the pumpkins and squash!
Anybugger
Anybugger

Back to top Go down

Post  Henri Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:17 pm

No, I havent the space Sad I'd really like to though. Might look into setting up a small herb 'garden' though. I do love the smell of lavender growing.
Henri
Henri

Back to top Go down

Post  Moomin76 Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:09 pm

I've started growing my own this year. Just on a very small scale, but so far so good. I've got tomatoes, strawberries and lettuces in some pots on the patio (not grown from seed as I was a bit late in the season for that). I'm also doing some potatoes in an old bin. I've done some herbs from seed - chives, mint, parsley, tarragon, rosemary and sage. I've started doing some lettuces from seed for later on in the season. I'm really enjoying it and got ridiculously excited when I saw shoots poking up through the compost!
Moomin76
Moomin76

Back to top Go down

Post  Anybugger Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:22 pm

Henri wrote:No, I havent the space Sad I'd really like to though. Might look into setting up a small herb 'garden' though. I do love the smell of lavender growing.
Henri, try salad in hanging baskets, I did it last year and it works well, sow have a pack on one side and then two weeks later the other half on the other side, it keeps coming
Anybugger
Anybugger

Back to top Go down

Post  Henri Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:28 pm

We have nowhere to hang from, really. I already have the flower-trough-thingies 'hanging' from the balcony railing and because we rent we can't stick anything into the walls. I might try seeing if I can shift things about out there and grow something small in a trough-thing, but the balcony is teeny and I'm loathe to spend money on gardening stuff right now.
Henri
Henri

Back to top Go down

Post  sunset30 Fri May 01, 2009 3:01 pm

ON my windowsill I have cabbage, spinach (yes I KNOW they go outdoors, but DP was being "HELPFUL", butternut squash, courgettes and tomatoes. All will be transfered outside soon.

Later on, I shall plant dwarf beans directly outside too.

I already have potatoes outside, and a blackcurrant which is doing VERY well this year.

Lx
sunset30
sunset30

Back to top Go down

Post  phoenix Sat May 09, 2009 3:03 am

As the credit crunch bites, I've seen lots of people get into growing their own. It's fab!

We don't have a garden, so we do stuff in tubs. We also have pets so have to be careful about where we grow things (bad dog peed on my strawberries when I tried to do them in a pot!). Last year, we grew beans, tomatoes and peppers. This year we haven't actually started yet Embarassed so will take ourselves down to the garden centre and buy some plants rather than doing it from seed.
phoenix
phoenix

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeliwobble Sat May 09, 2009 4:43 am

Credit crunch! LOL! I had a credit crunch of my own when Imogen was born so I grew a lot of my own veg. I miss it, to be honest. We grew everything; potatoes (4 types one year!), carrots, mange tout, runners, courgettes, tomatoes, aubergines, turnips, sweetcorn, spinach, purple sprouting broccoli, onions, leeks (one year; they didn't do very well though), apples, pears, gooseberries, rhubarb and raspberries... We had a little greenhouse and loads of pots as well as outdoor grow bags. I loved it. Our garden in the UK is about 100ft long and divided in half, lawn bit at the front, allotment bit at the back. So pleasurable to potter out there and then eat the fruits of your labours! Oh, the jam I made. And the fruit wine!

Can't grow anything here, the bloody deer eat the fecking lot. You have to have deer proof cages and everything. If the deer don't get it, the raccoons do. We grew tomatoes on the deck two years ago and the little furry feckers had them all.

If we're not in the UK next summer, I might invest in a cage and try to grow some, but I really not interested in gardening over here. I caught one of the big brown galumphing things in my favourite bed this afternoon with a mouthful of my tender daisy shoots. Feckers... Mad Evil or Very Mad Mad
Jeliwobble
Jeliwobble

Back to top Go down

Post  Anybugger Sat May 09, 2009 4:42 pm

AHHH jo, I now have images of bambi munching on your veg!!!
Anybugger
Anybugger

Back to top Go down

Post  prettypinkflowers Sat May 09, 2009 10:59 pm

Our potatoes are growing!!! They are just starting to show and I am so excited!!!

jx

flower

prettypinkflowers

Back to top Go down

Post  Anybugger Sun May 10, 2009 12:06 am

Send some down, I forgot to do any.

Is it too late?
Anybugger
Anybugger

Back to top Go down

Post  prettypinkflowers Sun May 10, 2009 12:10 am

I have one that hasn't been planted ... H stole it and hid it under his pillow ... the little shoots have just some back so it is ready to be planted just now. I don;t really know about timings for potatoes but you can buy them in the shop all year round so why not grow them all year? I am sure there is a reason but I am a beginner!!!

If you are up this way and want the last potato please send me a message (I'm not too far from you)

jx

flower

prettypinkflowers

Back to top Go down

Post  Anybugger Sun May 10, 2009 12:20 am

Ahhh I couldn't take H's pet potato

I guess you are right and that if I get some at a garden centre the should be ok.
Will have a look this week. I am going to Tunbridge wells
x
Anybugger
Anybugger

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum