What's YOUR Opinion On ...?
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dan Brown ...

+3
Anybugger
EeeGee
sarabone
7 posters

Go down

Dan Brown ... Empty Dan Brown ...

Post  Guest Sun Apr 26, 2009 3:47 pm

He's not JUST the author of The Da Vinci Code you know!

This is a thread to discuss Dan Brown's work.

Which have you read and which do you plan to read? Do you have a favourite? What do you enjoy most about his writing style?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Dan Brown ... Empty Re: Dan Brown ...

Post  sarabone Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:07 pm

I read the Da Vinci Code. I would like those few hours back. It's the only book I can honestly say I think would contribute more to society as kindling. It read like a very detailed film synopsis. The actual story could have been quite engaging but it was so badly written. Also the characters were more literary versions of George and Nico from broken sword. Except that i cared about them, in all their 2d pixelated glory. And everyone's so concerned with whether the discredited sources the book is based on are true or not (which they're not. Hence the discredited) that they miss how dreadful the writing is.

sarabone

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:08 pm

I agree - I tried to read Da Vinci Code ... but I found it so tedious! I gave up not long after the main characters arrived in Paris. I tried again - but it was still boring the second time!
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  EeeGee Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:57 pm

My favourite is Angels & Demons (really looking forward to the film of that too!) I really enjoyed The DaVinci Code, but I found the story and just the writing generally much better in A&D and re-read it lots and lots of times.

I also really liked Digital Fortress, but wasn't so keen on Deception Point although DH really likes that one and has re-read it several times.

I never listen to book/movie critics. I like to make up my own mind.
EeeGee
EeeGee

Back to top Go down

Post  Anybugger Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:20 pm

Eeegee, agree with you 100% Loved A&D, very excited about the film,
I can't remember which of the other two is which iyswim?
Anybugger
Anybugger

Back to top Go down

Post  phoenix Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:43 am

I liked Angels and Demons much better than The Da Vinci Code, but actually enjoyed both for settings more than the storyline. Both inspired me to research more about the Vatican, various artists etc, which was fun.

Am having to think about the other two, although they were both quite good - Fortress is the computer virus one and Deception is the Artic one? I will read his new one out this year, since I have enjoyed his previous four. Maybe not as much as the hysteria that followed the Code, but as just novels they are okay.

All four show a lot of research and prompt me to look things up, which has to be a good thing.
phoenix
phoenix

Back to top Go down

Post  Oakley Wed May 06, 2009 11:56 pm

I enjoy Dan's books, when I have a chance to read that is! I plan to go to see Angels and Demons next week at the cinema, but I am thinking they will have probably ruined the story. We shall see!
Oakley
Oakley

Back to top Go down

Post  Cadiva Thu May 07, 2009 12:21 am

Marley wrote:He's not JUST the author of The Da Vinci Code you know!

This is a thread to discuss Dan Brown's work.

Which have you read and which do you plan to read? Do you have a favourite? What do you enjoy most about his writing style?

Am I allowed to say I hate his books with a passion and think his writing style attributable to a five-year-old first learning how to put sentences together? (ducks and runs away)
Cadiva
Cadiva

Back to top Go down

Post  Smartiepants Sun May 10, 2009 9:37 pm

I was about to come on here and have a good old rant about Dan Brown then found this thread!
I agree with most of the other replies! I'm glad people are saying Angels & Demons is better than The Da Vinci Code as it couldn't be any worse! At best, it should be in the teenage section of the book shop, I read it on holiday in a couple of hours, every chapter ended the same, it was tedious and dull.
I won't be reading anymore of his work.
Smartiepants
Smartiepants

Back to top Go down

Post  Anybugger Sun May 10, 2009 9:58 pm

SP - you have just inspired me to check out the teenage section of my local bookshop Laughing

I must admitto liking an easy read after a hard day at work or with the children.
Anybugger
Anybugger

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down