What's YOUR Opinion On ...?
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Government Maternity Grants

2 posters

Go down

Government Maternity Grants Empty Government Maternity Grants

Post  Guest Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:14 am

What do you think of government maternity grants?

Do you think they're a brilliant idea, helping the lowest earning of our society give their baby a good start ... I believe certain people are eligible for both the Surestart £500 grant and the new Maternity Grant of £190 (?).

Do you think it's just yet another bundle of cash which will encourage certain youngsters to have babies?

Do you think the grants should be available to all new parents, irrespective of their earnings?

Do you think they're a stupid idea ... if you're having a baby you should be able to afford to provide for it?

WYOO ... Maternity Grants?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Government Maternity Grants Empty Re: Government Maternity Grants

Post  Beka-bo-beka Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:40 am

I was grateful for mine (only learnt about them on the birth of my 3rd so no one ever told me when I was a young "money grabbing" teen mother.. actually I would like to add it was an over active sex drive and not a desire for free government money that lead my now husband and I to become teen parents... the last thing I was thinking about when climbing into bed was the then prime minister John Major and if his government would provide me with a meal ticket through life... which incidentally it never did as my parents response to my being pg was to tell a 18 year old DH to get a second job and still complete his A-levels at the same time as their daughter would not live a life on benefits) so, I was grateful for it but I don't think it should be an essential entitlement.

I have lived on a couple of the worst council estates in my town and sadly I've seen far too many people push babies in dirty prams, in scruffy clothes, tatty bottles and spend that money on new trainers, phone or TV. Personally I'd prefer to see improved paternity pay and maternity pay which would avoid the need for the grant for many families (if DH had been eligible for more than the ninety-odd quid per week paternity pay for his 2 weeks leave we'd not have needed the grant so much). As the grant is meant to be for the arrival of a new baby possibly implementing a voucher scheme for that money to ensure it does go on baby essentials?

My husband is recently unemployed (worked in the motor industry in the midlands) and I've been entirely shocked by the fact that we're only pounds a week worse off on unemployment than we were with him working a 40 hour week, it's shocking.

Beka-bo-beka

Back to top Go down

Post  cu2 Fri May 22, 2009 1:39 am

off to a good start, step up, much valued, ah little treasures, get sorted, bless
cu2
cu2

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum