What's YOUR Opinion On ...?
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Clamidia becoming bad again

4 posters

Go down

Clamidia becoming bad again Empty Clamidia becoming bad again

Post  Shazmataz Tue May 19, 2009 2:41 pm

Have u read abt the clamidia results latley? My little cousin cam e home with a leaflet abt it from her school and the school woz sayin that over 2000 underage kidz wer dignosed with it in 2008 and ther woz only just over 1000 in 2007. I think its a bit scary coz i know that clamidia is 1 which can make girlz not be able 2 hav babies and stuff and they mite not even know that. I'm not sure wot it does to boyz tho? Does any1 know? Anyway what do u think? R the kidz forgeting using condoms or is it that the clincs r just testing more kidz?
Shazmataz
Shazmataz

Back to top Go down

Clamidia becoming bad again Empty Re: Clamidia becoming bad again

Post  Jeliwobble Tue May 19, 2009 5:25 pm

I think it's a mix of the two things, more testing and more infection. Chlamydia is a silent STD mostly. It's very hard to pick up outside actual testing.

I'm not sure that more young people are getting it. I just think that we are having sex these days in a way that we haven't for many, many years, back in the times when syphilis and gonorrhoea were more prevalent, so of course STDs are going to be more prevalent, in the same way. Luckily, we have antibiotics these days! Condoms would be a better idea, but you just can't make that stick with most young people. They think that they're on the Pill so they're invincible...
Jeliwobble
Jeliwobble

Back to top Go down

Post  Henri Tue May 19, 2009 10:39 pm

I think it's just that more kids are ok about being tested these days. They're less scared than they were in the past.

I can't remember that there are any long-term effects for men, but I know the main scary problem for women is possible infertility. When I was diagnosed with it I FREAKED out because I'd had it for months by that point (I know exactly when I got it) and I'd just thought I kept getting UTI's, and I was CONVINCED I was going to be even more infertile than I already was. Clearly not the case. It's very easily cleared up though, which is the good news. I mean it has the easiest 'cure' method of any STD, so while it's very prevalent, with swift diagnosis and treatment it shouldn't do much harm.
Henri
Henri

Back to top Go down

Post  sarabone Wed May 20, 2009 2:36 pm

Actually ther worst consequence for a woman is death. It's very very extreme but it's possible. I had chlamydia a few years back and because of the circumstances under which i got infected (no... i REALLY DO NOT want to go there, but... it wasn't my fault. At all.) I didnt get tested. And i found out about it when I got PID. Acute PID is very very nasty and whilst the infection itself couldn't have killed me the temperature and the dehydration from the vomiting could have. I'm not sure exactly how hot i got but well, it was the first time i'd ever seen a nurse double take at a thermometre before. The pain was so bad I was doped up on morphine half the time. It was bad. Very very very bad. If caught early chlamydia is pretty benign. If allowed to turn into PID it's incredibly unpleasent and dangerous. So the fact that many people are being diagnosed with chlamydia rather than PID is great. Obviously it would be better if nobody ever got it, especially underage kids, but as long as it's being caught early enough then it's really not too much more of a problem than the cost of antibiotics.

sarabone

Back to top Go down

Post  Henri Wed May 20, 2009 11:51 pm

Sara: Apologies, I completely forgot about the complications from PID. I should have been clearer and less flippant in my post. I was extremely lucky that we caught mine after only a few months.
Henri
Henri

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum