What's YOUR Opinion On ...?
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Txt tlk OR Lol speak?

+13
phoenix
sarabone
aloveofeachcolour
EeeGee
Jeliwobble
mummyloves3
kickingpigeons
Zog
Shazmataz
Smartiepants
Henri
Lou81
Admin
17 posters

Go down

Txt tlk OR Lol speak? Empty Txt tlk OR Lol speak?

Post  Admin Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:03 pm

What are your opinions on the correct use of grammar and punctuation in online forums?

Do posts filled with txt spk drive you crazy?

Do you mourn the loss of correct punctuation?

Or do you have a 'live and let live' attitude, taking each post on it's own merits?

WYO?
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://whatsyouropinionon.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Txt tlk OR Lol speak? Empty Re: Txt tlk OR Lol speak?

Post  Lou81 Sun Apr 26, 2009 2:32 am

Oh live and let live, does anyone actually really care or are they looking for an excuse to point out others weaknesses?

If you don't like it, then you don't......if you don't mind it, then you don't...... If the content is interesting then that's all that matters. Sometimes I love reading txt spk. Because I don't use it, it's like a puzzle for me to figure out and I'm so chuffed with myself if I can understand it. It's like figuring out morse code. Very Happy
Lou81
Lou81

Back to top Go down

Post  Henri Sun Apr 26, 2009 3:00 am

It drives me NUTS when people type in txt speak. It drives me mad when people TEXT in txt speak.

It also drives me mad when people don't use punctuation at all and everything just seems to be one long run on sentence i mean how can you just not bother to break up an entire posts worth of writing with a single full stop or whatever do you not find impossible to read yourself or are they just so selfish that they dont even consider going over their post to self edit Seems a bit inconsiderate to me and I would hope that any person of reasonable intelligence who is genuinely interested in having a proper discussion might bother to care how their post comes across to readers wouldnt you otherwise if you don't care enough to take the time to make your post digestible and easily decipherable why should people take the time to sift through it and decipher it and then reply to you you don't care why should they

Hate it. Drives me bonkers.

I don't use it as an excuse to point out others weaknesses when it is genuinely something they can't help. I wont point out silly grammar or spelling mistakes, but I think it's downright rude and lazy to 'behave' in a certain way online, and I think it makes people look stupid. And if they honestly don't care enough to even attempt to make their posts easy to read, why should I hide the fact that I don't care about their post? Whats the point in the content being interesting if the delivery is undecipherable? If you want your audience to listen to you, take you seriously and find you interesting, then you need to make an effort to meet them halfway. It's why some teachers are brilliant and some are rubbish. Delivery delivery delivery.
Henri
Henri

Back to top Go down

Post  Smartiepants Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:41 am

Each to their own, I don't understand text talk or any thread that's not written in standard English, and I don''t attempt to bother! It doesn't drive me crazy though, I don't let it bother me.
Smartiepants
Smartiepants

Back to top Go down

Post  Shazmataz Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:57 pm

I wish ppl wld lay off when thy start abt txt spk nd stuff. Just coz sum1 cant spell rite dusnt mean that wot they hav to say iznt a gud point. If i didnt need to work when i woz 14 nd to leave skool nd stuff then mabe i wuld be beter at speling nd stuff.

I do get embarazed by my typing but i still lik e bieng online and learning abt ppl.
Shazmataz
Shazmataz

Back to top Go down

Post  Zog Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:51 am

I don't mind the odd spelling mistake or grammatical error as long as the post is easy to understand. But text speak is not easy to understand so I don't like to see it used on forums. Lack of punctuation also makes posts difficult to understand. Surely if you are writing on a forum you are trying to communicate with the readers. So why deliberately make it difficult for them to understand what you have written?
Zog
Zog

Back to top Go down

Post  kickingpigeons Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:13 pm

I don't like txt talk.
I think I pretty much agree with everything Henri said.

I just find text talk to be a really lazy way of writing and it doesn't look nice. Also I always thought the whole point of text talk was to save characters in a text message? Forums such as this don't have a 160 (?) character word limit so why not type properly?!
kickingpigeons
kickingpigeons

Back to top Go down

Post  mummyloves3 Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:26 pm

I cant spell very well. It ain't becuz I am lasy but becuz I did not go ta school much.

I dont use txtspeek tho cuz I dont understands it.

Wot is lolspeek?

Is this place goin to be like the uther place where you got slagged for bad spellin?
mummyloves3
mummyloves3

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeliwobble Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:17 pm

Hai.

Thiz kitteh iz writin in LOLSpeak.

I haz cheezburger.

Mucho cheezburger

Mai be reezen thiz kitteh is so humungaws.

Jeliwobble
Jeliwobble

Back to top Go down

Post  EeeGee Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:21 pm

I prefer full speak!

I only EVER text in txt spk when I'm trying to get my texts down to one page (to avoid paying for more than one text! hehe!) and even then it's usually just removing apostrophes and things.

I don't mind the odd LOL or LMAO thought. I use them more often than not.

Oh and I do tend to overuse ...... and !!!!
EeeGee
EeeGee

Back to top Go down

Post  aloveofeachcolour Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:08 pm

I definitely prefer to type in "full speak". Like everyone, I let in the odd honest spelling/grammar error. I don't mind how people write, I just wanna read what they write!

There is no bias here...... Just the opportunity to state your opinion, and accept other's opinions in good faith.

Alec
aloveofeachcolour
aloveofeachcolour

Back to top Go down

Post  sarabone Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:21 pm

Personally, I don't want to sound like a lolcat. It's interesting for me because I always think someone talking in lolspeak or l33t or txtspeak sounds like a 14 year old boy. When mothers in their 30s talk like that I find the affect somewhat jarring.

Though given what my spelling is like possibly I'm not in a position to judge.

sarabone

Back to top Go down

Post  mummyloves3 Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:29 pm

That lolspeek stuff looks like I write Crying or Very sad
mummyloves3
mummyloves3

Back to top Go down

Post  aloveofeachcolour Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:31 pm

Do you know what, mummyloves3 - don't worry about it! Write what you want, in the style that you want to write it. Would you let someone tell you how to have your hair? Or pick your shoes for you? No! Your writing style is your personality on here. Just go for it!

Alec
aloveofeachcolour
aloveofeachcolour

Back to top Go down

Post  phoenix Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:34 pm

As long as I can understand it, then I don't care. I don't LIKE it, but it isn't going to enrage me either. I don't care about typos (unless they are funny.. called my friend jo a ho t'other night!) or mis-spellings either.

I like the point made earlier - it's like deciphering a code and sometimes if you can get through it you do get a feeling of accomplishment.

Also, lolcats are teh win! bounce

Last edited by phoenix on Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:35 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : coz i wanted to)
phoenix
phoenix

Back to top Go down

Post  Mrs Big Boobs Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:28 pm

I can't be bothered to read text speak. As pp said why do we need text speak on a forum.

Still don't understand the LOL speak. Is it when genuine typos are made...Just call me thick! Wink
Mrs Big Boobs
Mrs Big Boobs

Back to top Go down

Post  aloveofeachcolour Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:07 pm

No, I don't get LOL speak either.....

SOMEONE EXPLAIN AGAIN - points may be awarded (Oh I love the power....)
aloveofeachcolour
aloveofeachcolour

Back to top Go down

Post  Henri Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:55 pm

LOL speak started as a piss-take of the kind of writing that one finds so prolifically online. Its an exaggeration (well, only in some cases unfortunately) and mockery of people who don't/can't/won't type 'properly'. It basically takes the principle of bad grammar and spelling to a comical extreme. Its the internet euivalent of a caricature that you don't need to have any drawing talent to capitalise on. It's basically phonetic, and the overuse of 'z' and 'y' and lack of capital letters or correct sentence structure can make it difficult to get into, until you get used to it.

It kind of exploded and got it's name after the 'lolcat' phenomenon really came into it's own. The principle is simple: Everyone knows cats are evil dictators. Everyone knows they can understand us. Everyone knows they can plot. Everyone wishes they could know what was going on inside that fluffy little head sometimes. So we stick funny captions on pictures of cats doing cat-like things, imagining what they are thinking/doing/plotting/saying.
At first it was just funny captions, but then captioned cats and lolspeek became intertwined, because somehow the lolspeek made the cat pictures even funnier, and now they are pretty much synonymous.

i can haz poyntz nao plz?
Henri
Henri

Back to top Go down

Post  Anybugger Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:56 pm

As I understand it Lol speak is fake gangsta talk???
Could be wrong but don't think it is anything to do with laughing out loud!
My personal view on text speak is that I don't like it but I can read it - just.
Like a pp said it is lack of basic grammar (and mine is not great!) that annoys me. Fullstops are not that difficult. Neither are basic spellings (typos are a totally different matter).
That said I would never dream of correcting anyone on a forum. Life is too short
Anybugger
Anybugger

Back to top Go down

Post  mummyloves3 Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:59 pm

Hannah - wot is youre opinion on peple like me who cant spell very well? Do you think we is thick or summit????? Evil or Very Mad
mummyloves3
mummyloves3

Back to top Go down

Post  Anybugger Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:07 pm

Bev - I would never suggest that someone's spelling is an indicator of their intelligence. Being educated does not make someone clever and likewise being unable to spell does not mean that you are stupid
Anybugger
Anybugger

Back to top Go down

Post  Torm Fri May 15, 2009 1:16 pm

Also for me as long as i know what it all means, but i do findmyself often when i have my brother her talking text too, how sad is that lol
Torm
Torm

http://tandgsforums.informe.com/forum/

Back to top Go down

Post  Cadiva Fri May 15, 2009 5:00 pm

Have to admit that, being a journalist, text speak drives me up the wall. I have no problem with people who can't spell, I have no problem with people who don't use grammar correctly, but I do have a serious problem with people who simply can't be bothered to type out a word in full.

Certain abbreviations like LOL, ROFL, have become accepted into most everyday situations so I have no problem with that, but when people end up writing something like cu2moz instead of see you tomorrow I'm afraid it makes me want to punch something Wink

I accept, without reservation, that's its quite irrational but the butchery of the English language seriously makes me mad.
Cadiva
Cadiva

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum