What's YOUR Opinion On ...?
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

People who park on the pavements/double yellow lines.

+7
Smartiepants
HappyGoLucky
mummyloves3
Henri
Anybugger
Jeliwobble
Zog
11 posters

Go down

People who park on the pavements/double yellow lines. Empty People who park on the pavements/double yellow lines.

Post  Zog Fri May 01, 2009 8:13 pm

This is something that really annoys me but it happens a lot where I live. Evil or Very Mad People park their car on the double yellow lines, half on the pavement and half on the road, so they are causing a hazard for pedestrians and for cars. If there are double yellow lines it means it is dangerous to park there - they are there for a reason, not just for decoration. Parking with 2 wheels on the pavement doesn't make it OK - it just means that people with buggies or wheelchairs have to walk in the road and risk their life. Mad

How do you feel about this?

Does it annoy you?

Do you do it?
Zog
Zog

Back to top Go down

People who park on the pavements/double yellow lines. Empty Re: People who park on the pavements/double yellow lines.

Post  Jeliwobble Fri May 01, 2009 8:23 pm

I have done it.

The problem I've found is that streets that were built before the advent of the motorcar, or when owning a single vehicle was so prohibitive no one could dream of owning more, are so congested that with everyone parking their two vehicles (or more) outside their own house, there is barely enough room for one vehicle to drive down the street, let alone two passing. I lived in a street in London where if I forgot to fold in my wing mirror, without fail it had been knocked off the following morning. It got to the point where I just didn't replace them any more!

Anyway, being a mum, when I do have to park on the pavement, I always get out and have a squint at how much space there is to pass my car on the path. I don't think I would have done that, though, prior to having kids!
Jeliwobble
Jeliwobble

Back to top Go down

People who park on the pavements/double yellow lines. Empty Re: People who park on the pavements/double yellow lines.

Post  Anybugger Fri May 01, 2009 8:27 pm

mmmm This is one of those things where, when I do it and think oh it'll be ok, but then when I am out walking and come across it I get MAD Evil or Very Mad
Total hypocrite I know.
However in my defence, we live really rurally so there are never many people using the paths anyway.
I don't think I would do it in a town.
Anybugger
Anybugger

Back to top Go down

Post  Henri Fri May 01, 2009 10:14 pm

I would park half on a pavement, half off (a lot of places round where I live if you want to park within a mile of your house, you don't have a choice) but I wouldn't do it on a double yellow. Won't they fine/clamp for that?

However, I would always try to make sure there was reasonable walking room so that people weren't forced into the road.
Henri
Henri

Back to top Go down

Post  mummyloves3 Fri May 01, 2009 10:27 pm

I got a ticket for parking on a double yello. i had only gone to the shop to get sum milk for the boys and that! I was, like, a minute in there! aint doin that again. i tred to talk to the traffic nazi but he couldnt speak english propper. why are all trafic wardens black round here?
mummyloves3
mummyloves3

Back to top Go down

Post  HappyGoLucky Sat May 02, 2009 12:15 am

This is a problem we are kind of embroiled in at the minute.

We live in a culdesac which is a private road, although it doesn't have yellow lines. The road in and out is only wide enough for one car, and the pavement is quite thin (just enought for a buggy really). A van keeps parking just on the pavement and on the road right outside our dining room window. Now, it's not bothering me. It's only there at night, but one of our neighbours (who is a part of the "Committee" - I hate committees...) is getting really stressed about it and so is my OH, L. Our neighbour has twice put notes (like she is still at school) on the van, and today one of them was posted back through our door?

Our other neighbour has tonight parked outside their house (she has a littel Fiesta) and the woman who owns the van (she lives around the corner just outside the entrance to the culdesac) has been round taking pictures of the Fiesta.

Now, L and the Committee lady are stood outside discussing the fact that the next door neighbour shouldn't be parking there, but she has just cause as she lives there and what they should do about the van.

I'm trying to explain that really, in the grand scheme of things, the van is not an issue, but they aren't taking any notice of me. L seems more upset that they have parked right outside our dining room window, whereas the neighbour is infuriated that they have the audacitiy to park in our culdesac and "block" access. I suppose it would cause a blockage for an emergency vehicle, but any driver with a licence should be able to get through the gap...

HARUMPH!

truce?
HappyGoLucky
HappyGoLucky

Back to top Go down

Post  Smartiepants Sun May 03, 2009 9:19 pm

So these aren't parking lights then?
People who park on the pavements/double yellow lines. Ist2_6803526-warning-triangle-on-ca

My hubby used tobe a copper and called them that! he got really angry is someone put them on to park outside a shop on double yellows and run in!
Smartiepants
Smartiepants

Back to top Go down

Post  Torm Fri May 15, 2009 1:15 pm

Have to say my bad i also have done this but only once until i see a lady in a wheelchair and i quicly moved and have never done it since. I feel i park in the correct places now at all times and if it means a short walk then so be it, at least i get a bit of excercise too Smile
Torm
Torm

http://tandgsforums.informe.com/forum/

Back to top Go down

Post  cu2 Fri May 22, 2009 1:44 am

Take the car away & crush it, no excuse!
cu2
cu2

Back to top Go down

Post  sunset30 Fri May 22, 2009 11:48 am

it never used to bother me, but now, I really do feel strongly about it - towing them would be fine!
I used to just laugh and think, lazy git, but once you have a pushchair and have to go out into a busy main road with your baby because some oaf has parked on the pavement etc, you realise just how serious it could be - and that it applies to people with wheelchairs and / or frames as well as other diabilities. Why should any of us be at risk so that someone in a car can walk severl fewer steps to do their shopping.

Oh, and to mummyloves3 - not sure where you are, but there has been some research done on the ethnic origin of traffic wardens in London, and it is very interesting, NOT due to their colour, which is irrelevant, but due to the extremely narrow range of tribal reprepsentation due to the nature of the characteristics required to be a traffic warden. But you still deserved the ticket (as does EVERYONE who gets one for this)! Smile

Lx
sunset30
sunset30

Back to top Go down

Post  EeeGee Fri May 22, 2009 9:52 pm

I have parked half on a pavement before and would again if it meant not blocking a road, but only if it was also not blocking the pavement too. But I have never parked (and would never park) on double yellows or in a disabled spot. Just as it bugs the hell out of me when people with no kids park in the (extremely limited) parent & child parking spaces.

Also - what is that a picture of??? It doesn't seem clear to me at all.... Embarassed
EeeGee
EeeGee

Back to top Go down

Post  sunset30 Sat May 23, 2009 12:08 am

I thought it was hazard lights?

I ONLY don't mind people parking half on the pavement IF there is easily enough room for a DOUBLE buggy or wheelchair to fit on the pavement without worrying about the wing mirrors. Seems that is actually rare!
Lx
sunset30
sunset30

Back to top Go down

Post  EeeGee Sat May 23, 2009 4:05 pm

sunset30 wrote:I thought it was hazard lights?
Oh, LMFAO Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

Now I look like a COMPLETE idiot! I saw the hazard triangle in the middle, but just looked quickly and thought it was the iStock logo!!! lol!
EeeGee
EeeGee

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down