What's YOUR Opinion On ...?
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Strongest memory song

+4
Anybugger
Admin
Jeliwobble
Smartiepants
8 posters

Go down

Strongest memory song Empty Strongest memory song

Post  Smartiepants Fri May 01, 2009 12:16 am

I wonder what song makes you have the strongest memory?
I have loads of songs that remind me of things but there's one song that practically takes me back.
It's Last Stop This Town by The Eels. I listened to it to death on my Minidisc player when I went to college and I can almost smell the college bus when I hear the song. They were some great days and the song really makes me happy when I remember all the fun I had.
Smartiepants
Smartiepants

Back to top Go down

Strongest memory song Empty Re: Strongest memory song

Post  Jeliwobble Thu May 07, 2009 5:06 am

I think too many to list!

I have a couple that just take me back to certain times in my life:

Funny How by Airhead takes me to the T&C in Kentish Town where I saw my first ever gig.

Blood, Sugar, Sex, Magic by The RHCP takes me to a bed in Camden...

The Universal by Blur takes me to a job which I hated but was freed from.

No Regrets by Robbie Williams takes me to an maternity operating theatre in Colchester.

Nice Weather for Ducks by Lemon Jelly takes me to the seaside in Southend.

As I say, too many to list!
Jeliwobble
Jeliwobble

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu May 07, 2009 1:11 pm

Here goes!

Mexican Girl (Smokey) takes me back to childhood caravan holidays. Every time I hear it!
Baby Love (Supremes) reminds me of my step-mum singing along at full volume! It's a lovely memory of her (she died aged 29, about 10 years ago).
It must have been love (Roxette) reminds me of being a teenager, driving to Blackpool with l-t-ex.
Keep on loving you (REO Speedwagon) reminds me of the summer of '96.
No woman, no cry (Bob Marley) reminds me of childbirth! My first 3 were all born to this song playing.
Foundations (Kate Nash) seems to have been written about my marriage, lol.
Grow (Kubb) gives me hope.

I'm sure there are loads more, but that's enough for now!
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://whatsyouropinionon.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Anybugger Thu May 07, 2009 1:56 pm

Ohh I never remember things like this so will have a try

Neil Diamond Sweet 16 - Reminds me of being 9/10. My Dad having left and my Mum and sisters travelling to Holiday camps etc listening to this
Queen Greatest Hits - Ditto
REM Everybody Hurts - being full of teenage angst
Oasis Champagne Supernova - takes me to Northern Ireland and my first Love
Meatloaf 2 out of 3 - takes me to the Italian BF
You are my Sunshine - is what I sang to all my bumps
The song with all the girls names - "Angela and Rita and as the list goes on you know they get sweeter" is what I used to dance around to with K
R Kelly Toot Toot - K's first ever "fav song" aged 3.
Scissor Sisters - Laura I was doing sidesteps to in the Labour ward (a la davina)
Anything by Mika reminds me of my FAB crazy dancing husband and the night we saw him live.

There I did quite well
Anybugger
Anybugger

Back to top Go down

Post  sunset30 Thu May 07, 2009 2:41 pm

Oooh, nice post!

Roberta Flack "Killing me softly" - from VERY young childhood as it's my parents' song, and they each have a copy on seven inch vinyl

The Shangri La's "leader of the Pack" - reminds me of going through my parent's vinyl collection when I got a record player for my 9th birthday and playing the ones I liked! Embarassed

Micheal Jackson "ben" - sad, but used to play it when I was a lonely child - I don't like rats, but I got the idea!

Nick Kamen "I won't let the Sun go Down on me" - played at the funeral of a very good friend of mine - changed the whole song for me

Weezer "Buddy Holly" - it's 1993 - I am stoned off my tits jumping around in a club that looks like a cave drinking £1 a shot vodka, and not letting it touch the sides on the way down cos it's rough as all hell.

The Boo Radley's "Wake up Boo" - it's sixth form!

"Whoomp, there it is" - It's Summer 1996, and it's camp time
"Electric Slide" - Ditto

Nirvana - Smells like teen spirit - it's university

Patti Lupone "Being Alive" - Sitting in my bestie's car, driving round at night singing along, and not going home!

Jo's Lemon Jelly song is on my jamie dvd as it reminds me of Dec 06!!! Jamie recognises it too!

that's probably enough for now!
Lx
sunset30
sunset30

Back to top Go down

Post  phoenix Thu May 07, 2009 3:16 pm

I have a couple of very strong ones.

Sacrifice by Elton John takes me back to leaving school aged 18, when a boyfriend and I had sneaked out of (boarding) school at around 2am and could hear that in the background somewhere.

White Flag and See the Sun by Dido destroy me. We played them at my sister's funeral and I haven't played Life for Rent ever since.
phoenix
phoenix

Back to top Go down

Post  beadyeye Sat May 09, 2009 11:38 am

True by Spandu ballet is banned in my house . i hate this song as it taked me back to being a child and my brother pouring salt in my hair and singing "I know this bugs you". I am still traumatised by it to this day.

Songs that have the strongest memories for me are
Brotherhood of man - Save all your kisses for me.. My grandfather bought this for me when I was 3 and it takes me back to a time when life was a lot more simplier.
Madonna's- Papa dont preach takes me back to being a carefree teenager
Paul wellars -You do Something to me always make me think of when I met my Husband.

there are more but these ones are the srtongest.
beadyeye
beadyeye

Back to top Go down

Post  Cadiva Wed May 13, 2009 12:33 am

I have loads but the top of the list would be:

Pink Floyd: Wish You Were Here/Shine On You Crazy Diamond - I'm 17 and falling in love for the first time with my school mate Andrew. We spend many evenings at the home of an older friend whose living in his grandma's house as she's gone into a nursing home and all our other friends are there too.

Pink Floyd: Delicate Sound of Thunder (album) - I'm 19 and going out with a guy from work and he plays this every time we go to sleep when I stay at his house (usually without any sex first!). Also included here would be INXS's Kick album for the same reason, we used to listen to it all the time. This is my first "grown up" relationship.

Tina Turner: What's Love Got To Do With It - on the radio as my seven year destructive relationship bloke (a policeman) drove me home at 2am after our first time together. It really was an omen for the next seven years! I'm 20 years old and this relationship continues on and off until I'm 26.

Runrig: Going Home - takes me back to my early 20s and many many happy times spent with friends in a little Scottish Highland village called Mallaig. It could be any Runrig song really but the lyrics of this one always get me going.

Nightwish: Wish I Had An Angel - I've just discovered I don't want to be married any more and listen almost constantly to their Once album. My (now OH) friend Mike becomes the person who restores my sanity and saves me from a crappy situation. I'm 25 and have been married for two-and-a-half years but been with the ex for almost six.

Other songs which don't have a specific time period but which remind me of good times would include Suzanne Vega's The Queen and the Soldier, Joe Jackson's album Jumpin' Jive, The Animals We've Got To Get Out Of This Place, The Doors Break On Through and Riders On The Storm and a wee band called The Cherryland Bandits who were Leeds/Wakefield based and performed covers of various stuff but also wrote their own songs and split up about two weeks after getting signed to Island Records!

And the last one, my friend Nick and Duncan Hall's cover of Ralph McTell's The Hiring Fair, which reminds me of one of those glorious summers where it seemed to go on for ever and the sun was always shining and many beers were drunk at many music festivals listening to them play their wonderful brand of folk rock.
Cadiva
Cadiva

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum