What's YOUR Opinion On ...?
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gotta be done.....Swine Flu

+10
Mushroom
KoJaq
Anybugger
mummyloves3
Jeliwobble
beadyeye
Henri
prettypinkflowers
sarabone
aloveofeachcolour
14 posters

Go down

Gotta be done.....Swine Flu Empty Gotta be done.....Swine Flu

Post  aloveofeachcolour Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:11 pm

What do you all think? Storm in a teacup, or cause to stock up on bottled water, dried food and enough toilet paper to see you through to the end?

Personally - I'm worried. I don't like the feeling of helplessness that I associate with not being able to protect my family. If it travels around - and it will - there's not much I can do to stop us catching it - how do you tell a toddler not to sneeze into the air?

And I hate having a runny nose....

Alec
aloveofeachcolour
aloveofeachcolour

Back to top Go down

Gotta be done.....Swine Flu Empty Re: Gotta be done.....Swine Flu

Post  sarabone Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:26 pm

Personally I'm not too worried, it seems to be pretty benign outside of Mexico in countries with decent health care.

sarabone

Back to top Go down

Post  prettypinkflowers Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:51 pm

hmm I am little concerned now you mention toilet paper, we have three rolls left and a grocery delivery due on Friday ... do you think we will be ok?

jx

ps sorry but I have had a glass of wine and not taking things seriously! oops!!! I will be more concerned if it becomes established in London as I am on the tube / trains 5 days a week. I think the media have scared us with SARS and bird flu so this is just one more scare at the moment I hope I am not wrong and I hope there are not the reported 120 million deaths

prettypinkflowers

Back to top Go down

Post  Henri Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:00 am

Is this the new name for Man Flu?

Fitting, I think....
Henri
Henri

Back to top Go down

Post  aloveofeachcolour Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:01 am

That's OK, I know I am little ott about this sort of thing. I worry about big things happening like nuclear war, or a dirty bomb, or erm swine flu. We seriously keep a big bag of pasta, bottled water, dried food and a gas stove in the garage "just in case". I know, I know, none of that will do much good, but.....

*SIGH* - pity me....
aloveofeachcolour
aloveofeachcolour

Back to top Go down

Post  beadyeye Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:18 am

I think that it is yet again media hysteria. so far the papers say there is less than 1500 cases and the media are already talking about a pandemic. It was only last year that they where talking about a possible pandemic of Bird Flu. Who knows whether or not swine flu will happen but if it does the NHS as usual will be caught with there trousers down. 2 cases have now been confirmed in ayrshire (scotland) which is not that far from me but I am still not worried about it.
beadyeye
beadyeye

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeliwobble Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:50 am

The thing about the 'flu is that people die of it because a. they don't realise how sick they are and b. they often are suffering alone, or whole families have gone down and no one has been in touch with them, so they can't get to medical help. It's not actually the 'flu they die of either, but the pneumonia that it causes. One of the reasons that it has hit young fit people the hardest is that because they don't realise how sick they are, they carry on as normal (especially in Mexico where not going into work means you don't get paid), the normal day to day stress keeps them going and *bam* they collapse and, unfortunately, often die.

'Flu is easy to survive. You just have to know you've got it and put yourself to bed with the phone next to you!
Jeliwobble
Jeliwobble

Back to top Go down

Post  sarabone Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:58 am

And in this country, even without the tamiflu stockpile (which is more than sufficient) we have hospitals with people to look after you and saline drips and the like for anyone who does get too sick to cope alone. I had normal flu two years ago and I was VERY VERY unwell. My fever got so high i actually hallucinated at one point, but i stayed lying down, drank lots of water, had calpol regularly and slept a lot and i was fine. Unless this strain mutates horribly that's all that's really needed.

sarabone

Back to top Go down

Post  mummyloves3 Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:16 am

Ther was a doctor on the news and she sed that the mexicons have got it worse coz they don't wash and are staving and stuff.
mummyloves3
mummyloves3

Back to top Go down

Post  Anybugger Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:28 am

I think its good for DH business!!
On a serious note, my sister is a district nurse and they have been preparing for a flu pandemic for YEARS, she has had to give all contact details including email addresses to be held on a central flu database. She has been advised where stockpiles of vacines will be, and what their plan of attack is.
As we live quite rurally I am not too worried, although having said that I do plan to go to the shops and stock the freezer (it had been running low anyway) and tin cupboard. We already grow lots of veg but the chickens may end up looking appertizing!!
My mother however (daily mail reader) is in abject Panic mode, one of our sisters is in London and she is freaking about her big time.
Anybugger
Anybugger

Back to top Go down

Post  KoJaq Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:11 am

I think it's a storm in a teacup, as a pp said we have had similar scares with SARS and bird flu. If it is shown to spread quickly and we get lots of cases in the UK, then I will begin to worry, no point in wasting my time and my worry until then.

KoJaq

Back to top Go down

Post  Mushroom Fri May 01, 2009 12:09 am

i dont really understand it that well but i am a bit scared.

Mushroom

Back to top Go down

Post  sunset30 Fri May 01, 2009 2:36 pm

It is mostly media hype.

There has, throughout history been a flu pandemic periodically. it's one of those things. Air travel means such things move round the world quicker, and get more wide spread.

In the event of any actual pandemic, those worst hit will be in developing countries, where the health care is less available (those worst hit in mexico have been in rural areas many miles from hospitals etc) Also, those with compromised immune systems etc, the usual suspects.

DP works in a hospital whose client base is ALL people with severely compromised immune systems. They have a plan for getting antivirals, which they have already, to the people who need them most, quickest. They are not panicking. DP is on the secondary list of people who will need the antivirals if the situation escalates. That put's him a fairly high risk group. BUT ONLY IF THINGS GET WORSE. And, why should they, with the level of care we have in this contry, we should be well able to deal with this. he's not panicking, and neither am I.
Lx

sunset30
sunset30

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri May 01, 2009 7:07 pm

Gotta be done.....Swine Flu Winnie11
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Mrs Big Boobs Sun May 03, 2009 5:32 pm

LMAO @Marley...
Mrs Big Boobs
Mrs Big Boobs

Back to top Go down

Post  Torm Fri May 15, 2009 1:18 pm

Have to say i am not worried either, look back when we had mad cows disease etc etc..... I think generally the media make it worse, which then causes everyone to completely panic. Flu can kill at anytime whatever flu it is tbh and i try not to go near anyone if ill but sometimes it is a impossibilty
Torm
Torm

http://tandgsforums.informe.com/forum/

Back to top Go down

Post  dirtyqwerty Sat May 16, 2009 12:42 pm

Bird flu wasn't a storm in a teacup! It was a very serious possibility, which some very clever people managed to control, and we should be grateful to them.

Swine flu may or may not be a disaster, but I'm not an epidemiologist and I doubt anyone else here is either - we're not qualified to say whether it *will* be dreadful or not. It *might* be, but probably not here.

Newspapers will either tell you it's an impending disaster or they'll tell you it's all hype, just like bird flu. In both instances they would be making uneducated, ill-informed and really rather reprehensible statements.

I wouldn't get blasee about it just yet, but I wouldn't panic either. As folk said - it's fairly mild here at least. You might get it, but you'll take good care of yourself and you'll be ok. It may well go through unprotected and/or uneducated populations like a hot knife through butter. Time will tell.

I'm very glad that there are proper scientists working very hard to understand 'swine flu' and protect us all from it, and I'm going to be reasonably cautious and yet totally calm.

dirtyqwerty

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum