What's YOUR Opinion On ...?
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Harry Potter

4 posters

Go down

Harry Potter Empty Harry Potter

Post  Guest Sun Apr 26, 2009 3:38 pm

A thread for all us adult HP fans!

Which has been your favourite book? Favourite film adaption? Favourite characters?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Harry Potter Empty Re: Harry Potter

Post  phoenix Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:48 am

Awww, you can't beat the first ever of these - Philosopher's Stone is the absolute best of them all!

Is there anyone who hasn't read the books but watched the movies? Can you follow what is happening in them, do they make any sense? I don't like any of the films, and find they skate so lightly over the top of the books that too much is missed.
phoenix
phoenix

Back to top Go down

Post  EeeGee Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:18 pm

I love all the books (although they started to get PRETTY dark towards the end for children's books. I'm wondering what age is a good age to read them to my daughters!)

I think that the best adaptation was Philosopher's Stone simply because it was a short book so easy to make into a screenplay without missing too much out. Followed quite easily by Chamber of Secrets and Prisoner of Azkaban. After that the books started getting longer and longer and they had to miss too much out to make a reasonable length film without us falling asleep halfway through or without us sitting in the cinema for 8 hours.

And even then my nephew (7-9 when the films were out) had to go to the loo twice during because they were so long!

I don't think people should complain really about films. It's way too hard to get everything into a film screenplay. As long as the FILMS follow on from one another, that's the important thing. I think people who have read the books simply need to fill in the blanks in their heads!!
EeeGee
EeeGee

Back to top Go down

Post  phoenix Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:16 pm

How old are your daughters? My eldest has read them all. She was about 8 when HBP came out, and 10 when DH came out, and read them both on publication.

*Do* the films make sense then? I think they are worse for those of us who have read the books since we are thinking of everything that has been left out, so the films don't make much sense to me. Are they better for those who haven't read them?
phoenix
phoenix

Back to top Go down

Post  Moomin76 Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:47 pm

Dh hasn't read the books (he's allergic to words Shocked ) but loves the films (although won't admit it!) He says they make sense.
Moomin76
Moomin76

Back to top Go down

Post  EeeGee Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:18 pm

phoenix wrote:How old are your daughters? My eldest has read them all. She was about 8 when HBP came out, and 10 when DH came out, and read them both on publication.
LOL oh mine are 2, and a few weeks so won't be reading them for a bit Laughing but I plan on reading them too them at some point.

phoenix wrote:I think they are worse for those of us who have read the books since we are thinking of everything that has been left out, so the films don't make much sense to me. Are they better for those who haven't read them?
Totally agree that they are worse if you've read the books.

Moomin76 wrote:Dh hasn't read the books .... but loves the films .... He says they make sense.
Same with mine. He loves the films and says they make sense.
EeeGee
EeeGee

Back to top Go down

Post  Cadiva Thu May 07, 2009 12:26 am

Love the books, love the films too because I sort of ignored the fact they came from the books and just watched them as a great set of films, if that makes any sense? My favourite book/film is Goblet of Fire I think although I did absolutely love Deathly Hollows and the way she wrapped everything up at the end.
Cadiva
Cadiva

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum