What's YOUR Opinion On ...?
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Boxing - Sport or Not?

+5
prettypinkflowers
beadyeye
aloveofeachcolour
c1nd3rs
Smartiepants
9 posters

Go down

Boxing - Sport or Not? Empty Boxing - Sport or Not?

Post  Guest Sun May 03, 2009 12:27 pm

What are your opinions on boxing?

Would you ever 'allow' (or encourage) a son of yours to become a boxer? Would you be able to watch him fight?

Do you think boxing is just a socially acceptable way for men to be brutal and violent?

Do you think it should be classed as a 'sport'?

Personally, I hate it. I can't see the enjoyment in watching two men or women knock the Hell out of each other until one of them is unconcious. I think it's vile and should be outlawed. I don't think it should ever be classified as sport.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Boxing - Sport or Not? Empty Re: Boxing - Sport or Not?

Post  Smartiepants Sun May 03, 2009 9:08 pm

I don't like it at all. I can understand the 'sport' idea of it...the rules, the moves, the skill it takes to get it right, but I can't watch it. I particluarly dislike the slow motion close up of someone's cheek bone getting smashed in.
It's just not for me, I love sport and can get excited over just about anything but boxing is someone i'm not interested in at all.
Smartiepants
Smartiepants

Back to top Go down

Post  c1nd3rs Mon May 04, 2009 9:11 pm

I don't like it.

I wouldn't encourage my son to do it. I do think for some lads it can be a positive thing, with training and self-control rather than bareknuckle fighting in the streets. However I think martial arts are more suitable for that.

I'm against outlawing it as whilst it is a legal sport there are strict rules and regulations re safety etc, underground fighting is far more treacherous.
c1nd3rs
c1nd3rs

Back to top Go down

Post  aloveofeachcolour Mon May 04, 2009 9:57 pm

My hubby quite likes it, or used to. Quite a few years ago, we watched a really hyped up fight - Gerald McClelland vs Nigel Benn. It was a great fight, and very exciting. But at the end, it became clear that the loser, Gerald McClelland, was severly injured. I don't remember the details, but I know the outcome for him was very serious. And then I realised that I had been excited watching someone getting the behoovus (my word, not a real one!) kicked out of him. And I was ashamed of myself, so have never watched it since.

I wouldn't encourage either of my kids to get involved in boxing, although I hope I would be supportive if it was what they really wanted. Does that make any sense?
aloveofeachcolour
aloveofeachcolour

Back to top Go down

Post  beadyeye Tue May 05, 2009 7:01 pm

Would you ever 'allow' (or encourage) a son of yours to become a boxer? Would you be able to watch him fight? I hate boxing and I will never encourage Ds to do it or go and watch it

Do you think boxing is just a socially acceptable way for men to be brutal and violent? most likely as boxers get all there aggression out during a match

Do you think it should be classed as a 'sport'? NO it barbarck

I think it is the worst sport ever and I really dont agree with it. We have a friend that is a boxer ( he is starting to get a name for himself in Scotland) and even thought he is a nice guy I would never go and see any of him fights.
beadyeye
beadyeye

Back to top Go down

Post  prettypinkflowers Tue May 05, 2009 10:39 pm

I hate the thought of it, my younger brother has just told me last week that he has taken up boxing shocked! and he had a freestyle fight last week. shocked! I just could not get excited for him and could not understand what would possess him to want to fight someone. IMO that i what it is fighting I cannot see anything good or useful about it.
I would be horrified if my son wanted to take part but then again I would love him to play rugby ... sometimes there is not much difference??? hmmm ... perhaps I should encourage golf instead???

flower

prettypinkflowers

Back to top Go down

Boxing - Sport or Not? Empty Boxing - Sport or Not?

Post  Mummy_Jo Wed May 06, 2009 10:04 pm

I really can't ever see me encouraging my son to be a boxer! The idea terrifies me, yes I know/understand its a sport but why encourage him to do something that is so harmful? I can't watch a fight, it scares the life out of me. I really do have a hard time understanding why any grown person would want to watch 2 people beat each other senseless?

Not a sport for me.

Mummy_Jo

Back to top Go down

Post  Cadiva Wed May 06, 2009 10:22 pm

While I can appreciate the dedication, training and talent required, I find it brutal and not at all enjoyable to watch. I wouldn't be unhappy if my son wanted to box as one method of fitness and sports training but I would actively discourage him from actively competing as usually boxing schools make them wear protective headgear etc.
Cadiva
Cadiva

Back to top Go down

Post  3for3 Thu May 07, 2009 12:39 am

I'm just someone who doesn't like violence in their life and so I cannot ever see me promoting boxing to any of my children as a sport of choice and i don't watch it.
I respect boxing as a sport though. It is people making a choice to train and dedicate themselves to a sport and it is strictly controlled. It takes huge skill, dedication and fitness and no matter what my views are i do believe that people have chosen to box and therefore have a right to do it as it doesn't involve anyone other than boxers!

I would much rather promote martial arts to my family as the focus (depending on which one you choose) is very different. I view this as being a life skill rather than a sport and would want my kids to learn it as it teaches self-awareness, self-confidence and self-defence. You also learn discipline, fitness and many other things - but without bashing each other's brains in with the damage that this does.

Nope, boxing is not for me and with any luck not for my children either!
3for3
3for3

Back to top Go down

Post  cu2 Wed May 13, 2009 12:10 pm

hello, BIFF, what do you do, BASH, can we talk, BISH, whats going on here THUMP, does this acheive anything BASH, ok well im off to inspect my stamp colelction CRACK
cu2
cu2

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum