What's YOUR Opinion On ...?
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Planned Home Births

+5
KoJaq
Jeliwobble
Slinky
lazzasmrs
Admin
9 posters

Go down

Planned Home Births Empty Planned Home Births

Post  Admin Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:33 pm

I've just been reading This Article

What are your feelings on the subject of planned home births?

Do you think they're great or do you think it's a silly risk to take? What would you consider the pros and cons to be?

Have you had a home birth? Can you compare it to a hospital birth? Were you surprised by the differences?

If you've previously had both, what made you choose to Home Birth after your hospital birth, or vice versa?

WYO?
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://whatsyouropinionon.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Planned Home Births Empty Re: Planned Home Births

Post  lazzasmrs Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:50 am

Well, ds1 was a hospital birth back in 1996, but ds2 was a planned home birth in 2006.

For me, ds1's birth was just so stressful I wanted something different for ds2.

With ds1, once I was at the hospital, I was pretty much put on a bed and left to my own devices which made my labour really long, then I was given drugs I really didn't want (or need in my opinion) so that I don't actually remember giving birth to him at all due to the amount of pethidine I had been given (2nd dose 45 mins before delivery) Once he had been born, I was so woozy that I couldnt hold him, and when I did I was sliding sideways off the bed apparently! I hated having a bath in a cold impersonal hospital bathroom and was then separated from my then partner as he went home. I also had a very unhelpful midwife on the ward, and when ds1 developed jaundice gave me the full 'he will end up with brain damage' chat, which afterwards I felt was v unnecessary and I complained.

With ds2, I was really stressed about having a repeat of my hospital birth and, as I had no complications the first time, I spoke to my midwife about a home birth and she was very supportive. I can honestly say that I would recommend it to anyone. I laboured at home and as I could move about and do what I wanted, my labour was only 7 hours from the first twinge to the delivery. I could eat and drink whatever I wanted (without having to remember any hospital bags) and my son was born in my lounge (with no pain relief at all cos the midwife forgot to offer me the gas & air!!). Within 2 hours he was curled up on the sofa with my dh while I had a lovely relaxing bath. We all slept in the same room that night rather than dh being sent home, and it really made the whole experience magical rather than medical.

I will say that I chose for ds1 to stay at his nanna's house. He was 10 and I felt that he would be worried and upset by watching me and it might affect how he felt about his little brother.

We are planning to ttc in August, and I will definitely ask for another homebirth.
Trina xx

lazzasmrs

Back to top Go down

Post  Slinky Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:51 am

Really and truly what Trina just said. Hospital birth in 1996, home birth in 2006.

Home births are brilliant! cheers
Slinky
Slinky

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeliwobble Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:00 am

Home births are BRILLIANT!

LMAO!

Twisted Evil
Jeliwobble
Jeliwobble

Back to top Go down

Post  KoJaq Fri May 01, 2009 12:57 am

I loved my home birth, so little hassle and I went to sleep in my own bed!

KoJaq

Back to top Go down

Post  MrsGoggins Fri May 01, 2009 1:01 am

I really wanted a home birth but my first baby was breech so had to have a c-section. I had an elective with my second. My friend had 2 home births and they sounded wonderful. However, I am not going to dwell on the fact I couldn't.
MrsGoggins
MrsGoggins

Back to top Go down

Post  Henri Fri May 01, 2009 1:41 am

I don't think they're a 'silly risk' unless you take silly risks with them. If you are low risk and under the care of a midwife or GP or gyno throughout your pregnancy and there is nothing standing in the way of a happy birth at home, why not?

I didn't want one for my first. I'm young, this was very unexpected, I don't have a support network and until last month we were living in a flat with paper thin walls and asshole neighbours, so I always wanted a hospital birth for this one. I like hospitals, they make me feel safe and calm me down. For me and for THIS baby, a hospital was the best place to give birth. However, I'm not eligible anyway, because I'm high-risk. I'm considering having one if I ever have another baby. But I will not be going down Jo's route. Sorry love, but I really don't want to give birth on the bog. And I really don't trust butter-fingered M to catch a slipper slimy screaming baby!
Henri
Henri

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeliwobble Fri May 01, 2009 3:13 pm

Aw, Henri, whyever not?! Everything goes in the bog except the baby!

Twisted Evil Very Happy
Jeliwobble
Jeliwobble

Back to top Go down

Post  Henri Fri May 01, 2009 8:15 pm

Maybe if I had a nice big bathroom I would mind, but on a purely practical level, you couldn't fit two people standing up facing each other in any part of our bathroom, when you sit on the loo you can touch the facing wall with your elbows just about. Definitely not the place for a bit of baby-catching.

Maybe I WOULD give birth on the bog if it was a hotelroom with a nice big bathroom. Doesn't that sound good? NO cleaning up at all!
Henri
Henri

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeliwobble Fri May 01, 2009 8:25 pm

Ooo, yes, hire a luxury suite for giving birth in! Then once you've gone and done it, downstairs for some spa treatments and a Michelin star slap up dinner. Sorted!

Actually...that's not far off the amenities in the Portland... Twisted Evil
Jeliwobble
Jeliwobble

Back to top Go down

Post  Henri Fri May 01, 2009 10:07 pm

Surely hiring a doula/private midwife and a nice hotel suite would be cheaper than a private birth, and probably nicer too....

Hmmmm....something to think about, eh?
Henri
Henri

Back to top Go down

Post  Anybugger Fri May 01, 2009 10:30 pm

Jo you're story still makes me smile, and Katie I had no idea yours was a home birth (or if I did I'd forgotten Embarassed )

I wanted a home birth with DS2, we lived just by the ambulance station and not far from the hospital. however DH works in medical and point blank refused. TBH I didn't push it (until the hospital - lol) as the memories from the 38 hour labour and al the drugs I needed were still fresh.

By DD we had moved out to the sticks and even though I was far more positive after DS2 labour I wouldn't do it when it meant a good half hour to the hospital.

My sister is planning one and I say good luck, although she is going to find it hard to stop all of us turning up (there are 5 of us in total!!) plus my mum, dad, DH's and my DCs, !! could get crowded.
Anybugger
Anybugger

Back to top Go down

Post  Mrs Big Boobs Fri May 01, 2009 11:11 pm

I too didn't know You had a home birth Katie.

I have to say I HATED being in hospital after emcs - I truly felt alone and a hindrance and not able to get 'on' with things. i think birth would have been easier if I had known what was coming and how to stand my ground... IF there was a next time I think i might invest in a doula....

If the pg isn't deemed to be high risk I say why not homebirth- everything is better in familar surroundings.
Mrs Big Boobs
Mrs Big Boobs

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeliwobble Fri May 01, 2009 11:25 pm

There is a school of thought that one of the reasons behind the increase in emcs is due to maternal anxiety. It's a bit like when cats give birth, they like to be somewhere quiet and dark. I think we women need the same, quiet, dark, safe and pleasant. I was much calmer during my quiet accidental home birth than either of my two hospital births. There was no one up but me and baby until I got dh out of bed to get me to hossie! But that was too late!
Jeliwobble
Jeliwobble

Back to top Go down

Post  Anybugger Fri May 01, 2009 11:30 pm

Davina McCall said something like this after each of hers,
Apparently she had them in the utility!!
Anybugger
Anybugger

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down