What's YOUR Opinion On ...?
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Do you have pets?

+19
Mrs Big Boobs
phoenix
c1nd3rs
MrsGoggins
EeeGee
mummyloves3
beadyeye
Anybugger
Jeliwobble
HappyGoLucky
kickingpigeons
Zog
sarabone
Mimmy
Henri
Slinky
craftybecs
Sassybabe
aloveofeachcolour
23 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Do you have pets? Empty Do you have pets?

Post  aloveofeachcolour Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:59 am

Hi All

We have two cats, one of which is old and decrepit, hanging onto life by a thread, the other being less than one year old with a death wish. He has lost a life already by running into a moving car, resulting in a broken jaw (*sigh*). Lucky for us a nice lady found him, took him to the vets who contacted us. He was microchipped, so they could track us down. Best fiver I ever spent.....

In the past I have had three guinea pigs, and we went through about 5 goldfish before we decided that we were no good at that....

Do you have pets?

Alec
x
aloveofeachcolour
aloveofeachcolour

Back to top Go down

Do you have pets? Empty Do You Have Pets?

Post  Sassybabe Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:52 pm

Up until 2 days ago, we just had the one pet. A 14 yr old torty cat who still thinks (and looks) like a kitten. She's called Panzy - much to the disgust of my DH when he has to call her in for tea! (He got her to answer to a whistle very early on!) And before you think - poor cat - she was a rescue cat and came with that name, it wasn't our choice. She was 6 months old when we had her and we didn't think it was right to re-name her. But as I said, she was our only pet until 2 days ago. DH, who insisted we were never having more pets (no matter how much the DS's pestered) found a lost rabbit in the street. He was in a sorry state, very dirty and bedraggled and his teeth were all crooked, but he was such a sweetie we took him in. Took him to the vets, got him cleaned up, and he's now hopping around our conservatory, happy as Larry. My 6-yr old has named him Snuffles and he's just one big bundle of love. We've had a couple of staring matches between cat and rabbit, but they seem tolerant of each other! So it seems we now have two pets. . . Sorry, did I waffle on a bit there??
Sassybabe
Sassybabe

Back to top Go down

Do you have pets? Empty Re: Do you have pets?

Post  craftybecs Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:08 pm

Hi,
I have had many pets over the years.
At the moment its just the one stuck up cat who hates my hubby!!
The kids have a couple of guineas, I am the one who feeds them, so I guess they are mine too!

Over the years I have had tropical fish, finches, budgies, rabbits (lots of them), hamsters and a dog.

Cant imagine the vets bills.

Becs xx

craftybecs

Back to top Go down

Post  Slinky Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:14 pm

One cat - 17 years old and miserable. I doubt the misery is due to age, she's always been like it. Horrible, horrible cat.
And two fish. The oldest is 7. It was supposed to be a throwaway pet - last for two weeks to satisfy our dd's *need* for a pet. 7 years later, and one suicide attempt later, it's still here. I have a feeling it will be one of those fish that lives to be 90.
The other fish was named after dd's first boyfriend, and spent a few weeks living in her bedroom. Since she and the bf parted ways (I think he spoke to another girl.. they were 12.. and therefore fickle) the fish has been relegated to the kitchen and ignored. Poor Ben.
Slinky
Slinky

Back to top Go down

Post  Henri Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:24 pm

We have a 1 year old rabbit called Freyja. She's anti-social and not easily impressed, but we have taught her to do tricks for food. that's pretty cool. She still wont cuddle with me though, miserable thing.
We also have two rats, Romulus and Remus (spotting a theme here with the names? I'm into mythology). Romulus is big and fat and stupid, Remus is long-suffering but craftier than his brother. Crafty doesn't always outshine brute strength though, which is why Remus is a bit thinner than Romy.
I've almost always had pets. I was born with pets and had many many pets until I was 11, when we moved country and my parents refused to bring any of the pets. As soon as M and I moved into our own place we got Freyja and it's taken alllll my self control not to get pet after pet after pet since then.
I've had cats (close to 40 in all), dogs (5 or 6) hamsters, fish (goldfish and siamese fighter fish), geese, ducks, chickens, lambs, silkworms (and subsequently MOTHS Very Happy ) and sea monkeys. I think thats it.
Henri
Henri

Back to top Go down

Post  Mimmy Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:24 pm

A cat - Misty. 4 years going on 4 months - if you can say it that way round?!
She's still tiny & still nuts. Never grown up.

We've got tropical fish too, wish we didn't. Could do with the room in the lounge for the millions of toys that are laying around......
Can't see them for plants at the mo, they've overtaken the tank.
I wish fish could drown.
Mimmy
Mimmy

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:43 pm

We have 4 goldfish (in two Spongebob tanks) and a 6 month old beige & ginger stripey kitten named Thomas/Tom.

I think all kids should have at least one pet if possible. Even if it's a hermit crab. I think it's nice for them to have had pets and it helps teach them about caring, responsibility and death. The death of a family pet is often a child's first experience of death and it's quite an important part of pet ownership, IMO.

XX
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  sarabone Sun Apr 26, 2009 5:58 pm

I have five rats, Minnie who's been with us for around 18 months and whose cagemate Daisy died of pneumonia her new cagemates PeeJee and Aubrey who are utterly insane and very possibly a danger to society and Evaine and Aphra who we adopted via gumtree when their owner had no time for them anymore. We also have two bunnies, Lillith the fluffy white rabbit of doom and Eve who looks like a watership down bunny. Also two very elderly hamsters Annie a chinese dwarf and Bob a white russian dwarf.

I always wanted small pets as a child but our cats made it impossible as they were demon cats who could probably have eaten the cage to get to the small fluffy thing inside.

sarabone

Back to top Go down

Post  Zog Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:55 am

We have a black and white cat called Zog who is always getting into fights with cats three times his size. The last time he got into a fight he needed antibiotics and a collar to stop him from licking his wounds - his rough tongue was making them worse. His hygiene habits leave a lot to be desired and he dribbles a lot. cat
Zog
Zog

Back to top Go down

Post  kickingpigeons Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:19 pm

At the moment we just have a 3yr old crossbreed dog called Poppy. She's a lovely mutt but has body odour problems. We are thinking about getting another dog in the near future but we'll probably get a puppy.

We did have a cat but we had to rehome her when B was a month old as having a baby in the house was upsetting/unsettling her. She lives with my mum though so we still get to visit her.

I've always had pets though. My mum ran (still runs) a dog rescue so we've always been dog mad and always ended up taking home the dogs that nobody else wanted.

In total I think I've had 15 dogs, 5 cats, 2 hamsters, tropical fish, 5 rabbits, 3 budgies, 2 cockatiels, 2 lovebirds, 2 guinea pigs and lots of chickens.
kickingpigeons
kickingpigeons

Back to top Go down

Post  HappyGoLucky Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:42 pm

Marley wrote:We have 4 goldfish (in two Spongebob tanks) and a 6 month old beige & ginger stripey kitten named Thomas/Tom.

Oh no... My child is a cat Rolling Eyes

I have a family dog that lives at my parents house called Missy. She's a big ball of black fluff. We as a family, have a cat called nelly. She is a tortoise shell (sp??) colour and is 3 years old.

My dog is wonderful and I love her and miss living with her, my cat is a horror and I am terrified of her.
HappyGoLucky
HappyGoLucky

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeliwobble Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:56 pm

I left my furry babies behind when we moved here. There's only one left now. My sister 'lost' the mummy cat, Bubbles. She never returned after a night out hunting. It wasn't long into the spring so I reckon she got stuck down a rabbit hole going after baby bunnies and deserved all she got, much as I loved her! Her son, Hobbes, is still around (as is his brother, Noodles, who lives with my mother). We lost my REAL furry baby in January to a tongue tumour; you know the ones, he was bought, with his brother, in lieu (just tried to spell that six times, gave up, spell checkers are wonderful things...) of REAL babies. Weirdly enough, his brother got run over two weeks before I had dd1.

We currently have a psycho red-silver (posh talk for white with a pale ginger hue) Maine Coon called Jones. He's lovely but he's HUGE, the size of a small dog. He forgets how big he is and tries to climb on my lap regularly and apparently he doesn't reach his full size until he's 3. He's not a year yet and he's already the best part of 2 ft long, without his immense tail, and about 15lbs Shocked
Jeliwobble
Jeliwobble

Back to top Go down

Post  Anybugger Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:54 pm

Jeliwobble wrote:
We currently have a psycho red-silver (posh talk for white with a pale ginger hue) Maine Coon called Jones. He's lovely but he's HUGE, the size of a small dog. He forgets how big he is and tries to climb on my lap regularly and apparently he doesn't reach his full size until he's 3. He's not a year yet and he's already the best part of 2 ft long, without his immense tail, and about 15lbs Shocked
Bloody hell (can we swear here?) Just google'd your cat - thats BIG

We have, one tiger dog (lab x staffie) called Lula bought when our rescue dog died. Lovely dog with the children but ugly as sin,
We also have a rabbit Jack Black who is brown? Three hens, pink, purple and green (named after their coloured tags) and one of the hens currently has a rainbow family of chicks, 2 buff orpingtons, 2 cream pekins, 2 silver pekins and a partridge pekin whose brother/sister was trodden on at an early age!
Anybugger
Anybugger

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeliwobble Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:49 pm

2blue1pink wrote:
Bloody hell (can we swear here?) Just google'd your cat - thats BIG

Yes, yes, they are, aren't they? Laughing Razz
Jeliwobble
Jeliwobble

Back to top Go down

Post  Anybugger Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:13 pm

<> Razz
Anybugger
Anybugger

Back to top Go down

Post  beadyeye Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:23 pm

We have a cat with a personality disorder, she thinks shes a dog. LOL. she attacks anyone who puts there hand through the letterbox and if a stranger is in the house and I am not she goes for them. When I had the baby she didnt let anyone near her except me and hubby. Boo is a beautiful tortoise shell moggy who is a nutty house cat she has never even tried to escape.
beadyeye
beadyeye

Back to top Go down

Post  mummyloves3 Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:45 pm

I have a Staffie called Harvey.
mummyloves3
mummyloves3

Back to top Go down

Post  EeeGee Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:08 pm

We have three cats. Thomas (9 in May) and Pip (who is 4 in October) both of whom were mine and both of whom are very friendly cuddly cats who will sit on your lap, but don't let you pick them up! And then Jazz (9) who was my husband's and is aloof and miserably - except when awaiting food! - won't come near anyone let alone sit on your lap, but will let you pick her up. Weird!

I have had rats, hamsters, goldfish, tropical fish and DUCKS? in the past (the ducks being the smelliest!) and am wondering how we'll do with other pets (with the cats) when my daughters decide they'd like something else!

I do like dogs a lot, but I'm definitely more of a cat person. I'm too lazy to own anything that doesn't look after itself when I'm not around Embarassed so owning a doggie would be most unfair for it.
EeeGee
EeeGee

Back to top Go down

Do you have pets? Empty Cats

Post  MrsGoggins Fri May 01, 2009 12:21 am

I love cats. We used to have 2 but one got killed by a car. The one we have left is called Molly. She is very unsociable, lol!
MrsGoggins
MrsGoggins

Back to top Go down

Post  c1nd3rs Tue May 05, 2009 12:15 pm

We have a 4yr old Airedale Terrier called Molly who is just completely mad and defies the notion Airedales are supposed to be intelligent.

We also have 3 cats, Cleo (17), Tigger (13) and Tommy (1). Cleo is quite regal, and flips between very affectionate and very grumpy. If she comes to you she'll sit and be fussed for hours. Tigger is very aptly named. I don't think she'll ever fully get over kitten stage. Tommy is your very typical cat, lounges around during the day, goes off hunting at night.

Tommy and Molly are the best of friends. Tommy goes on the dog walk (voluntarily i hasten to add, no silly cat harnesses here thanks lol) with Molly and they play together on the field. The play rough and tumble in the house together which normally consists of molly having a little chew of tommy, or should i say wrapping her entire jaw around him.

I have had 4 other cats over the years, Leo was my first cat, he used to wander across the village to watch the lads play football and was sadly run over when he was 9 months old. Petra was Cleo's sister and my baby, she spent most of her life sat on my shoulders - we had to have her put to sleep when she was 11 because she was poorly. Smudge was Tigger's sister - very meek and loved to suck/lick t shirts - she was run over. Lastly, Oliver who was Tommy's brother, he was lovely and is sorely missed by DD (he was run over last November)
c1nd3rs
c1nd3rs

Back to top Go down

Post  phoenix Fri May 08, 2009 1:59 am

At the moment we have a mutt, a moggie and a rodent. It varies though, we tend to have a houseful of various creatures.
phoenix
phoenix

Back to top Go down

Post  Mrs Big Boobs Sat May 09, 2009 10:08 pm

I have 2 cats- Polly - a black and white bully who is about 8/9 and Sukey - who sleeps all day and doesn't like going out (she is not overweight though as some cats like this are.)

we also have a red and white Border Collie Dog - Ted. he is a big baby and water obsessed. i have put a vid of him and Lucy on my FB site .
Mrs Big Boobs
Mrs Big Boobs

Back to top Go down

Post  Cadiva Sat May 09, 2009 10:30 pm

Jeliwobble wrote:We currently have a psycho red-silver (posh talk for white with a pale ginger hue) Maine Coon called Jones. He's lovely but he's HUGE, the size of a small dog. He forgets how big he is and tries to climb on my lap regularly and apparently he doesn't reach his full size until he's 3. He's not a year yet and he's already the best part of 2 ft long, without his immense tail, and about 15lbs Shocked

My OH is, like me, a cat lover, and has said when James gets bigger, when we get a house with a garden away from a main road etc, that he wants a Norwegian Forest Cat, which are very similar to the Maine Coon cats in their large-ness I believe.

As for pets, didn't have any as kids, once I got my own house I was adopted by a black and white kitten who I called Dylan (we had gone to see her silver tabby sister but we were picked instead by the tiny black and white runt). She's down at my ex-MiL's in Kent as she had got used to going out and where I live now (middle of town, literally, main road, opposite the post office, round the corner from the bus station etc!), she would have had to stay indoors again.
I also had a beautiful black cat, Morgan, which the vet killed. He went in for his neutering operation and, without the vets informing me, was sick during recovery from the anaesthetic and inhaled vomit, subsequently got fluid on his lungs, vets who'd carried out the operation didn't want to know when he was foaming at the mouth and couldn't breath properly on the Saturday afternoon and when the other nice vets in town took him in as an emergency and tried to save him, his poor little heart gave out.
I also kept one of his second liter, Tennyson, who sadly probably got hit by a car. We're not sure, he was just found dead outside a neighbour's house one Mother's Day morning.

PS: Yes my cats all have poetic names (Morgan being named after Morgan Le Fay from Malory's Le Morte d'Arthur, Dylan after Dylan Thomas and Tennyson, well that's probably a bit obvious!)
Cadiva
Cadiva

Back to top Go down

Post  fatcat2 Tue May 12, 2009 9:51 pm

We have a dog called storm and 12 tropical fish
Do you have pets? Pictur13this is my big puppy
fatcat2
fatcat2

Back to top Go down

Post  Mrs Big Boobs Wed May 13, 2009 12:37 am

He looks like an EWOK here Smile
Mrs Big Boobs
Mrs Big Boobs

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next