What's YOUR Opinion On ...?
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Giving Birth Aged 66?

5 posters

Go down

Giving Birth Aged 66? Empty Giving Birth Aged 66?

Post  Hushy Tue May 19, 2009 5:00 pm

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/5338784/Britains-oldest-mum-dismisses-concerns-to-declare-I-feel-half-my-age.html

Britain's oldest mother has defended her decision to give birth at 66, claiming her physical age is not as important as how she feels inside.

Elizabeth Adeney, who owns a holiday apartment in a retirement village where children are banned, insists she is not too old to have a child despite warnings from fertility experts.
They say she is simply too old to be a mother.

The childless divorcee travelled to the Ukraine for IVF treatment and is planning to give birth at a clinic in Cambridge in the next month.

She said that sometimes she felt as young as 39, adding: "It's not my physical age that's important - it's how I feel inside."

Last year couples seeking IVF treatment are to be warned for the first time that their children have a higher risk of suffering birth defects, disability and life-threatening conditions.
The alert by the Human Fertilisation and Embryology Authority (HFEA), the government's watchdog on fertility issues, followed a US study indicating test-tube babies are at a 30 per cent greater risk of suffering from conditions such as cleft palates and defects with heart valves and the digestive system than children conceived naturally.

What do we think of this story? Do you think there's should be a worldwide cut-off point for IVF? If so, what age would you be happy with as the limit?

What do we think of the alert given from the HFEA? Do you think it has been publicised widely enough? Do you think IVF is messing with nature and these risks are hardly surprising?

WYO?
Hushy
Hushy
Admin

https://whatsyouropinionon.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Giving Birth Aged 66? Empty Re: Giving Birth Aged 66?

Post  Cadiva Tue May 19, 2009 5:54 pm

Personally, I'm 39, I hope to have another child to give James a brother or a sister, but I don't think I would continue trying past 45 if it hadn't happened by then and I don't think I would turn to IVF as I am lucky to have a child which was conceived naturally at the age of 37.

I don't think people should be having children beyond the age of 50 really. I know we have longer life spans etc, but it already troubles me that I will be 58 when James is 20, although his dad is 10 years younger than me. That said, I don't think I'm a worse mother for being older, in fact I know I'm a damn sight better a mother than I would have been had I had James at 28 when I was far too career driven and would have resented any interference in that.

But, having said all of this, I think it's hypocritical in the extreme that this woman is being hounded for having a child at 66 when many men father children around that age and beyond - David Jason, John Humphrys for example - without the media blinking an eye or without a public outcry.
Cadiva
Cadiva

Back to top Go down

Post  EeeGee Fri May 22, 2009 10:02 pm

My opinion - may not be too popular - is that she is too old to be doing it by herself and taking up IVF treatment. If she wants to have a child at 66 with a bloke then that's up to her, although it might be a little strange for her child who will be celebrating her 21st birthday with her 87 year old mother.

But IVF treatment should be reserved for the genuinely deserving. Not the ladies who are retired and bored and decide that they need something to fill in those years - no matter HOW young they feel.

And (s)he shouldn't be having to look after his/her mother in her dotage when she's in her 20's/30's. VERY unfair.

Sorry. My opinion.
EeeGee
EeeGee

Back to top Go down

Post  sunset30 Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:16 pm

I have been thinking about this for a while -
She is too old - there is no younger Dad to ease the burden of care both for her, in the not too distant future when she is too old and frail to care for a young person but also for that young person who will end up caring for their mother when they are still very young.
it's selfish. A child is not an accesory and to not think of the child's life is wrong
Lx
sunset30
sunset30

Back to top Go down

Post  Anybugger Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:38 pm

I agree that it is an incredibly selfish thing to do, although we are only getting one side of the media hype one does wonder why she didn't decide to go down this route earlier, say even 10 years ago?

I guess that this sort ofthing is the down side to IVF being available to all - a bit like the woman in America with 8 babies.
Anybugger
Anybugger

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum