What's YOUR Opinion On ...?
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Online Friendships

+9
KoJaq
Mushroom
phoenix
prettypinkflowers
EeeGee
Smartiepants
sunset30
sarabone
Admin
13 posters

Go down

Online Friendships Empty Online Friendships

Post  Admin Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:47 pm

Do you take online friendships seriously?

Do you think online friendships are equal to, greater than or lesser than offline friendships?

Have you made any good friends via the internet?

How about love? ❤ Have any of you met your partner online?
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://whatsyouropinionon.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Online Friendships Empty Re: Online Friendships

Post  sarabone Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:00 pm

I met my lovely husband via a very nice forum which we both used to go on. I also made lots of friends who I've met many times IRL and consider very close. When the owner of this forum could no longer afford webhosting and replaced it with a comments system (it was attached to his webcomic) the members loved it so much that they made a new forum for us all to hang out at. I don't thing many of us even read the comic anymore.

sarabone

Back to top Go down

Post  sunset30 Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:42 pm

I have made a few friends on line that are now IRL friends, so I thionk it can be a great thing. HOWEVER, I also think there can be a lot of scope for decietfulness, or just plain believing you know someone better than you do.
So, I guess I am wary of on line firiendships until I have chatted a lot in real time, or actually met them in person.

After that though, it becomes imposssible to tell the difference between IRL friends and internet friends
Lx
sunset30
sunset30

Back to top Go down

Post  Smartiepants Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:58 pm

I agree with the PP, I think it's possible to have online friends but I don't really trust them. I need to speak on the phone ot meet them in person before I can really start to believe I have a true friendship. I've been dissapointed by online friends before so I am much more wary of who I trust and believe in these days
Smartiepants
Smartiepants

Back to top Go down

Post  EeeGee Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:26 pm

Agree very much with pps. I have many online "friends" but don't class them among my real friends until I've actually spoken to them or met them.

Having said that, I now class among my real friends some lovely ladies that I've met online Very Happy

My husband, however, was met through a good ol' work night out! Laughing
EeeGee
EeeGee

Back to top Go down

Post  prettypinkflowers Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:55 pm

I have made some very lovely on line friends, I value their messages so much. Sure there are trouble makers out there but you get them IRL as well!
jx

prettypinkflowers

Back to top Go down

Post  phoenix Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:54 pm

Friends on the internet are just people. They have real lives and are real people lol. I treat them the same as I do anyone - with caution and friendliness at first, until I have known them long enough to "judge"* them.

I think it is much easier to get close to friends on the 'net, since the anonymity makes your tongue looser, so your friendship can progress quicker than IRL. Still, my 'net friends generally don't make my Xmas card list until I've met them tongue

S'pose I'd better mention that I met my offline best friends online, otherwise they'll sulk. Razz

* Oh hell, yeah, I judge you! So tuck your shirt in and polish those shoes!
** Does the use of footnotes give away my identity? Damn.
phoenix
phoenix

Back to top Go down

Post  Mushroom Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:38 pm

I ave loads of online M8's. Sum of them are my besties. you carn't always trust people online tho, sum of them can turn out to be snidey

Mushroom

Back to top Go down

Post  KoJaq Fri May 01, 2009 12:30 am

My husband and some of my very good friends are people I have met online.

I do need to meet/talk to the people to class them as proper friends.

KoJaq

Back to top Go down

Post  MrsGoggins Fri May 01, 2009 12:34 am

I met my husband online. We chatted for a while on a quiz site we used to go to. I then met him for a drink and a movie and it just went from there.
MrsGoggins
MrsGoggins

Back to top Go down

Post  Cadiva Thu May 07, 2009 9:20 pm

I met both my husband (now ex) and my OH (James' dad who I've been with five years) on the internet through online multi player games. My best (male) friend Adam, who was best man at my wedding, I also met online and I don't treat my online friends any differently than my "real" life friends.

That being said, the vast majority of my online friends I have met on dozens of occasions as we have a big get together at least once a year in which people who play in our gaming guild come over to the UK and we have an extended holiday really down at the OH's family holiday home on the coast at the bottom of the New Forest. OH and I are godparents to Adam's eldest son, one of James' to be godfathers is one of Mike (OH's) best friends that he met online.

I would say we're perhaps unusual but our percentage of online to "real life" friends is probably 60-40, however we have built up friendships over a 10 year period and, as I said, we do get together at least once a year, quite often it's a lot more often. We will see Adam and his family at least four or five times a year (they're in Banbury, we're up in Otley in West Yorks) and we usually try and spend a week's holiday time together.

This summer we're going to two weddings of online friends, who also know each other but aren't as good friends as we are with them. One of them the groom is the online friend and his girlfriend is someone he met in the real world, in the other, the bride is my online friend and she met her husband to be online also.

I would say that of the people I count as good friends, ie I can talk to them about anything, the vast majority are those I met playing the same online text multi player game more than 10 years ago. My best "best friend", however, is someone I have known since I was two years old.
Cadiva
Cadiva

Back to top Go down

Post  cu2 Wed May 13, 2009 6:11 pm

listening eyes, shoudler for crying, pat on back, hankie at the ready, smiles & good on ya
cu2
cu2

Back to top Go down

Post  Torm Fri May 15, 2009 12:52 pm

I met my partner online and here we are 3 years later happier than we have ever been, we have a little boy which bonds our relationship even more. I have also got many online friends w ho i have even met and we get on fantastic. Over a period of 10 years plus since i been online i have made and met many new friends across the net. I think if your careful and chat a long time over the net before you intend to meet it is no different than talking to some stranger in a pub of a friday night
Torm
Torm

http://tandgsforums.informe.com/forum/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down