What's YOUR Opinion On ...?
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SAHM and WM "Mummy wars article"

4 posters

Go down

SAHM and WM "Mummy wars article" Empty SAHM and WM "Mummy wars article"

Post  Anybugger Thu May 07, 2009 3:11 pm

Now, I'm not trying to start the whole working mum -vs- Stay at Home mum discussion,
They're both bloody hard but look at this article

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1177711/The-mummy-wars-Sibling-rivalry-Rachel-juggles-children-career-sister-Kate-stays-home.html

Why do some people let issues like this effect their lives? I can't imagine arguing with my sister about this issue?

oh can you tell I am listening to Loose Women whilst playing on here?

Last edited by Anybugger on Thu May 07, 2009 4:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Anybugger
Anybugger

Back to top Go down

SAHM and WM "Mummy wars article" Empty Re: SAHM and WM "Mummy wars article"

Post  aloveofeachcolour Thu May 07, 2009 4:04 pm

Well, I know that my life is like the first mum's life - a busy full time job, and all the household chores to do on top. But I don't get involved so much in colouring, painting, play-doh, role play, reading, cooking and all the other educational stuff that my kids do at nursery/school. Don't get me wrong, I do what I can, we read most days, we have messy play when we get the time, but it's not the same as doing it all day every day. For me, having a career is important, having my own sense of self is important and having the extra money is important. So it's a compromise.

I honestly believe that the old saying "a happy mum is a good mum" (or whatever it is, you know what I mean) is true. If I was feeling low because I was stuck in four walls, with no money to go out - either on my own or with the family - I would be really fed up.

I work hard to balance my work with the necessities of being a wife/mother - but I don't do the extra frilly bits around the edge. I know WAH moms work hard, and it is something I couldn't do. It's definitely a case of each to their own....

As for letting it take over your relationship with your sister (or whoever), well it's plainly madness, but it's easy to see how tiredness can lead to a few stroppy words, then resentfulness and so on....It's happened to me, just not over this issue.

Sad
aloveofeachcolour
aloveofeachcolour

Back to top Go down

Post  Cadiva Thu May 07, 2009 6:28 pm

I found the whole story a complete non-issue and that's speaking as a journalist of 20 years experience! It must have been a short day in the office and so Rachael decided to write about her row with her sister? Absolutely no story there really. If it had been a debate about the pros and cons of parenting yourself versus nursery/playgroup or childcare and she was using herself and her sister as examples then yes, but just to get into a row about being jealous, come on!
Cadiva
Cadiva

Back to top Go down

Post  Henri Thu May 07, 2009 8:42 pm

I agree with Louise. Slow news day much?

It seems more like a journal entry/confession than an article about the issue. She feels bad because she's caused a rift by being jealous, so she's decided to whinge about it in the DM. She's really not SAYING anything.
Henri
Henri

Back to top Go down

Post  Anybugger Thu May 07, 2009 8:51 pm

Maybe this says more about the daily mail than anything else!!!
Trying to stir the pot.
My Gran (86) said to me this morning that she had read about boys aged 9 (same as DS1) having sex (with girls!). She said it must be true as it was in the mail!!
God help me
Anybugger
Anybugger

Back to top Go down

Post  Cadiva Thu May 07, 2009 9:10 pm

Anybugger wrote:Maybe this says more about the daily mail than anything else!!!
Trying to stir the pot.
My Gran (86) said to me this morning that she had read about boys aged 9 (same as DS1) having sex (with girls!). She said it must be true as it was in the mail!!
God help me

Hehe, the DM is one of those newspapers other journalists usually want to read just so we can go - oooooooooh look at that none story! Although they do, to be fair, sometimes have some very good research type features, the vast majority of their stuff seems to be pandering to this mythical Middle Englander who appears to be a cross of Mary Whitehouse and Enoch Powell!
Cadiva
Cadiva

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down