What's YOUR Opinion On ...?
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WYOO.... Trolls

+17
phoenix
Oakley
CrayzeeGirl86
Cadiva
Lou81
loonytune
beadyeye
Anybugger
Admin
McGiddyBiddy
mummyloves3
EeeGee
Mushroom
Jeliwobble
MrsGoggins
KoJaq
Henri
21 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

WYOO.... Trolls Empty WYOO.... Trolls

Post  Henri Fri May 01, 2009 12:55 am

Just having a bit of fun, or pathetic saddo's?

pig
Henri
Henri

Back to top Go down

WYOO.... Trolls Empty Re: WYOO.... Trolls

Post  KoJaq Fri May 01, 2009 1:05 am

I guess they are having fun, otherwise they wouldn't do it Twisted Evil

KoJaq

Back to top Go down

Post  MrsGoggins Fri May 01, 2009 1:07 am

What is one? I have heard the word before on FB but didn't relly understand what it was.
MrsGoggins
MrsGoggins

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeliwobble Fri May 01, 2009 1:19 am

An internet troll

Hmmm. I'm not sure about my opinion. I don't mind them if they're essentially harmless. There was one on my other main board (not BC) who pretended to be a 22 yo girl when he was a 46 yo man. Nothing essentially wrong with that really as he wasn't doing anyone any harm. He got a bit embarrassed when his ex-wife came on and blew his cover!

Some can be horrid though, they like to tug heartstrings and often have outlandish stories which drag people in and play on hormonal women's felings.
Jeliwobble
Jeliwobble

Back to top Go down

Post  Mushroom Fri May 01, 2009 1:19 am

i think some trolls are evil, they pretend to be real and you feel sorry for them and then find out your friend isnt real, and they didnt need you to wast your time feeling sorry then there are silly trolls who dont harm anyone relly but can be anoying.

i think some real people are far more nasty than alot of trolls are.

Mushroom

Back to top Go down

Post  MrsGoggins Fri May 01, 2009 1:23 am

So a troll is someone who pretends to be someone else? Why are they called trolls? Because they troll the internets?
MrsGoggins
MrsGoggins

Back to top Go down

Post  EeeGee Fri May 01, 2009 1:26 am

Jeliwobble wrote:An internet troll
This is a link hun! (You can't tell on here very well)

Gives a pretty good description. And I think we've been in the company of one today too perhaps?
EeeGee
EeeGee

Back to top Go down

Post  MrsGoggins Fri May 01, 2009 1:31 am

Thanks eegee. I didn't realise that was a link, doh! Why would anyone bother? Who has the time? Silly in my opinion.
MrsGoggins
MrsGoggins

Back to top Go down

Post  Henri Fri May 01, 2009 1:32 am

EeeGeee: I suspect our little forum is blessed with at least one or two.

Last edited by Admin on Fri May 01, 2009 1:45 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : *Dangerous Speculation*)
Henri
Henri

Back to top Go down

Post  EeeGee Fri May 01, 2009 1:35 am

MrsGoggins wrote:Thanks eegee. I didn't realise that was a link, doh! Why would anyone bother? Who has the time? Silly in my opinion.

You're welcome Smile I had to double check myself, what with links coming up in blue. (Note to Admin - anyway we could have links come up in a different colour so they're easily distinguishable? Just a suggestion Smile)

And you're right - trolls have WAAAAAAAAAAAY too much time on their hands. Or very little life!
EeeGee
EeeGee

Back to top Go down

Post  KoJaq Fri May 01, 2009 1:38 am

So how do you spot a troll...ok, I am aware of the bleeding heart story ones, who are saddos, but how would you know that someone wasn't real?

KoJaq

Back to top Go down

Post  Henri Fri May 01, 2009 1:48 am

It depends what their purpose is.

If their purpose is to get revenge for perceived wrongs, they tend to be 'flashfire' trolls, you'll spot them easily enough. All they do is cause disruptions, start fights, and try to create work for the admins while disrupting the way the members use the site/forum. They are common interet vandals armed with the cyber equivalent of a few baseball bats and some spray paint.

If they're more deranged, they'll create alternate persona's to try to gain trust. This could be to get into the 'inner circle' and find things out about people, it could be to make you feel betrayed and violated when you find out, or it could be because they're sad and have no life and they want to be someone else for a little bit. It's harder to spot these ones, and you only really uncover them through inconsistencies in their story and through sleuthing. I love a good troll-hunt. But it could be weeks, months, or even years before these types of trolls are uncovered. It can rock a community to it's core because many times, this type of troll has become a well known and well liked member.

They first kind will almost always reveal themselves. They're not clever enough to stay hidden very long. Just watch the fires break out and identify the members who always seem to be instigating problems.
Henri
Henri

Back to top Go down

Post  KoJaq Fri May 01, 2009 1:57 am

I am very suspiscious of the bleeding heart stories and look for inconsistencies on the boards that I admin, have come across those sort of trolls, but not the former.

KoJaq

Back to top Go down

Post  mummyloves3 Fri May 01, 2009 5:50 pm

Henri

i got accussed of being a troll on bc and it reailly pissed me off. Just coz i didnt agree with someone and they siad i wuz a troublemaker. i changed birthboard coz of it and they wuz just as bad. that place is full of right ****** :affraid:
mummyloves3
mummyloves3

Back to top Go down

Post  McGiddyBiddy Fri May 01, 2009 6:04 pm

Trolls are rotton and they spoil the fun for everybody else. Its easy to spot 'em though isn't it, cos they tell far fetched stories. Mad

Bridget
McGiddyBiddy
McGiddyBiddy

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri May 01, 2009 6:17 pm

Trolls don't always have far fetched stories. Some seem content with having a certain type of username, some are happy playing out a whole persona - but not always in a bad way, some (most, IMO) are just people with no Real Life interests and too much time on their hands ... some are truly malicious, but I've not met many of those.

Trolls are more of a problem on some sites than others. They don't worry me too much on sites like this one as they will just come across as immature to genuine posters, or they will act as an unwilling Devil's Advocate which is actually quite helpful on sites like this one, lol! They also tend to be very easy to spot - we have some great Mods here!

However, this site is about opinions. Good, bad, right, wrong, well thought out or not ... so it doesn't matter too much if the "personas" are 100% genuine.

Marley.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Mushroom Fri May 01, 2009 8:30 pm

lolz so your quiet lucky your mods have to much time on there hands Laughing lol!

Mushroom

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri May 01, 2009 8:36 pm

LOL - luckily our Mods don't really need masses of time. Each Mod has their own particular sections which they co-moderate, so it shouldn't take much to keep on top of any hassle! Our 3 ADMIN are often around too, so we're pretty much covered! It's not a massively huge forum yet, obviously, but we'll adapt as it grows. Smile
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://whatsyouropinionon.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Anybugger Fri May 01, 2009 8:43 pm

Marley wrote:

Trolls are more of a problem on some sites than others. They don't worry me too much on sites like this one as they will just come across as immature to genuine posters, or they will act as an unwilling Devil's Advocate which is actually quite helpful on sites like this one, lol! They also tend to be very easy to spot - we have some great Mods here!

However, this site is about opinions. Good, bad, right, wrong, well thought out or not ... so it doesn't matter too much if the "personas" are 100% genuine.

Marley.

Here here
Anybugger
Anybugger

Back to top Go down

Post  beadyeye Sat May 02, 2009 11:21 am

I think that some trolls are in serious need of medical help for mental issues. I honestly dont think that some of them are aware of the damage that they cause. some are fairly harmless and are just wanting attention and others are just lonely and feel that they need to make up a life to join in.
beadyeye
beadyeye

Back to top Go down

Post  loonytune Sat May 02, 2009 12:43 pm

I think they need to find other interests lol !

loonytune

Back to top Go down

Post  Lou81 Sun May 03, 2009 11:43 pm

I think trolls have a major chip on their shoulder and no matter what juvenile antics they decide to partake in, they will justify it to themselves in a "poor me", "I'm so hard done by", "I have had a sh*t life", "bad things happened to me" attitude. Everyone has things happen to them. But these people, I can imagine like to play the victim at home, not on the forum. They are very intelligent and their intent is malicious. I don't think they are harmless at all. I think that if they are people without kids that is fine, the can swallow their own venom. We go around discussing the woman who fed her kids McDs like she was the worst mother ever......what about the mother that is a troll.............? I feel sorry for their children.
Lou81
Lou81

Back to top Go down

Post  mummyloves3 Wed May 06, 2009 8:18 pm

1 of my bc friends just told me that one of the ladys on bc is a troll. she said she had twins and other kids and was expectin other twins and it was all a lie and all the photos were fack!!!! Fuckin *female dog*!!!
mummyloves3
mummyloves3

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeliwobble Wed May 06, 2009 8:40 pm

Trolls are an important part of internet life. It's just one of those things. The BC poster in question appears to have been a very lost individual and most of our ladies are divided between wanting to provide her with support and wanting rid of her.
Jeliwobble
Jeliwobble

Back to top Go down

Post  Cadiva Wed May 06, 2009 10:30 pm

I think it depends on what type of forum they appear on. I do a lot of internet gaming and the trolls on those forums can be spotted a mile off and just ignored. However, I also post quite a fair bit on the BBC Message Boards and there's a few secret trolls on there who do their best to wind up people into little cliques by pretending to be friendly to someone and then go off bitching about them to someone else behind their backs.

As a moderator on one of the biggest forums for a well known EA Games life simulation game, I'm pretty experienced at spotting a troll or troll in the making and just ignore them when I find them on other boards I frequent.

Most often they're people with a bee in their bonnet about something or they're wanna be moderators who try and tell everyone else how to behave or they are, as has been mentioned here, people who possibly need help in the "real" world.
Cadiva
Cadiva

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next