What's YOUR Opinion On ...?
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Baby Names - Other People's Opinions ...

+15
Cadiva
Smartiepants
EeeGee
Jeliwobble
HappyGoLucky
mummyloves3
Oakley
Colette67
emmap
Beka-bo-beka
Henri
Sassybabe
aloveofeachcolour
Slinky
Admin
19 posters

Go down

Baby Names - Other People's Opinions ... Empty Baby Names - Other People's Opinions ...

Post  Admin Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:40 pm

Did you have lots of people laughing off your baby name choices?

Did you take heed of family preferences?

Did anyone 'steal' your chosen name?

WYOO ... Other people's opinions on your baby name choices?
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://whatsyouropinionon.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Baby Names - Other People's Opinions ... Empty Re: Baby Names - Other People's Opinions ...

Post  Slinky Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:56 pm

Nobody in my family likes either of my names choices for my children.
My daughter's name is too boyish and my son's name is too Scottish (or Greek depending on which brother is complaining)
If I ever have another, I won't listen to them, as I didn't before, and just make them say the name several times a day.

I tend to give my children *real* names and then call them ridiculous nicknames.
Slinky
Slinky

Back to top Go down

Baby Names - Other People's Opinions ... Empty Re: Baby Names - Other People's Opinions ...

Post  aloveofeachcolour Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:24 am

Hi

I agonised over both my kids' names so that everyone would like them - including DH and I! They are both short, easy to spell and traditional in their spelling. Neither of them have initials that spell amusing/rude words. DD's initials should never spell anything stupid, regardless of her choice of husband. *SIGH* - all this because I had an amusing set of initials as a kid...

We did change our mind on DD's name, so that for a few hours my parents thought she was called something different!

Oh - just remembered - my initials wouldn't have been amusing when I was born, it was a film introduced in the eighties that caused my pain. Oh well, maybe it is all for naught anyway.....

Alec
x
aloveofeachcolour
aloveofeachcolour

Back to top Go down

Baby Names - Other People's Opinions ... Empty Baby Names

Post  Sassybabe Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:42 am

DH is very traditional. He had to have people on our wedding cake cos he thought it was the 'right' thing to do. So, my suggestions of slightly more contemporary names fell on stony ears with both our DS's. But I'm kinda glad. They both have names that will quite comfortably see them through to adulthood without too many 'how do you spell that's' and hopefully without too much mickey-take. Although our surname often raises an eyebrow . . . !!
Sassybabe
Sassybabe

Back to top Go down

Post  Henri Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:41 pm

We had all our names picked out more or less from the moment we met. We spent a few weeks in the early days agonising and arguing but once we came across the right names, we both knew it, and they were set.
We had had a few jokey, non-serious discussions with his parents about our names before we got pregnant, because we had assumed they would have 5 or 6 years to forget our choices before we got pregnant and so no one would be able to comment, because we wouldn't tell them.
Unfortunately, this baby did not adhere to our pre-set timeline, so M's parents knew, and they told M's grandparents, and I felt it was unfair that they all knew and my parents didn't, so I told my mum and my aunt. But nobody else knows. Not even people online. I am SERIOUSLY over-protective of my names. I do not want to hear anyones opinions on it, because I love it, and I don't give a toss about anyone elses view of it and don't need them thinking they have a right to an opinion on what I choose to call my child.
Everyone has loved the name so far, which is good, because I probably would have said something quite nasty if they had made a comment (one of M's brothers has the most boring name I've ever come across on a real life person)

We've never ever asked for feedback or opinions or anything, even before we got pregnant, because it would be pointless. M and his brothers have incredibley traditional, normal, slightly boring names, my parents are mental when it comes to children's names, my sister is even crazier...none of these people could give us any advice. Our tastes are all just so completely different. We explored our limits as a couple (M is MUCH more traditional than me. I was banned from even suggesting most of the Mythological names I was quite keen on, and I have an unhealthy fear of 'boring' names, and rejected pretty much anything that had ever appeared in any top 10 list of any category of baby names ever) and found our middle ground and only even told people we'd had these discussions after they were over and done with and we had decided.
Henri
Henri

Back to top Go down

Post  Beka-bo-beka Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:46 am

Ohh yes, especially dd1 as we were teenagers when she was born, my nan told everyone it (her name) was a phase we'd grow out of and have to legally change it to a propre christian name, well I say she'll be 12 shortly and adores having an uncommon name that isn't cheesy or overly weird, she likes being identifiable by just her first name at school.

My oldest son constantly gets people singing Beatles songs at him- he'd reply "nah-nah-nah-nah" from around age 18 months onwards... I think after #2 people gave up complaining or laughing and just accepted we'd never have a Molly or a Jake

Nope not really, we did wane to my fathers request we give DD1 a normal middle name incase she hated her first name when she grew up (so we gave her the queens name Wink ) and we did respect my dads wish that we never use FILs name (dhs middle name but fil is a dick)

No, we get lots of "it's nice but not one I'd use" LOL

Frankly I wouldn't chose, nor do I like most of their mainstream choices or their super fashionable choices and so I respect the fact my unusual choices aren't their bag. I look at half of them and their kids and think would I really want to mirror myself on them and when I know i wouldn't I'm entirely happy they find my choices odd as it proves to me I'm not turning into them (please lord never let me turn into my sister or his sister... or any of my aunts!)

Beka-bo-beka

Back to top Go down

Post  emmap Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:55 am

I opted for good traditional names (imo ) i am not keen on trendy celeb names but each parent choses a childs name for their own reasons.Its just a shame they dont always stop to think of the implications for the child

emmap

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:26 pm

I found people to be rather vocal when it came to my name choices.

I only have one 'unusual' name (dd1) but I would have liked more! I was too easily swayed I think! Rolling Eyes

I really struggled with naming No.4. I couldn't think of a suitable girls' name for agesssss. Thankfully most people loved it so that saved me being swayed or convinced this time round, lol.

I can understand people who decide not to share their chosen name with friends/family. I wish I had had the patience to keep my choices to myself!

XX

Last edited by Marley on Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:26 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Typos.)
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Colette67 Sun Apr 26, 2009 2:30 pm

No, my sons have traditional names and my daughter's name was the one I had always wanted so everyone knew what she would be called.

Only with my first son. I am one of 4 girls and my parents lost 3 sons late on in pregnancy and one was born but lived for a week so it was always decided that the first of us to have a son would call him after our dad who is a brilliant dad and worthy of the tribute.

I don't understand the problem with this. I haven't but it wouldn't bother me.

WYOO ... Other people's opinions on your baby name choices

Not up to them. Although I do have a huge dislike for the 'new' names but this is more to do with working in social work where all the kids were called 'so-called contemporary names' so the names remind me of tragic children in tragic circumstances.

I also don't know why people keep their children's names 'secret' what is the big deal?

Colette67

Back to top Go down

Post  Oakley Sun Apr 26, 2009 2:54 pm

See, to me a name is just a name. I didn't have massive preferences either way. My wife thought that meant I wasn't interested in the baby, but that's not true at all. I loved our son from the very moment I knew he existed (or was to exist, whichever way you look at it) and I love him more now than I could have even imagined then, but his name wasn't a deciding factor in that love. He could have been called anything and I'd have felt the same way.

So my wife had most of the say in his name and as far as I know, nobody had any negative input.
Oakley
Oakley

Back to top Go down

Post  mummyloves3 Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:25 pm

I have bin disgustid at some of the comments I have seen about sum peopels choice of names on anuther parent sight. Wot right have they got to slag off youre baby!
mummyloves3
mummyloves3

Back to top Go down

Post  HappyGoLucky Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:27 am

I was once told to put "Doctor" in front of the name you choose, and if it sounds ok, it'll always sound ok. In the end I went with a traditional one. I went with my grandfathers name, because I love him dearly and wanted to show him, plus I love it.

My son is only 6 weeks old, but already people are comparing him to one "Fat controller" and a "Tank Engine"... Have I caused him a life of teasing and pain by choosing the name of a cartoon train? Is it too laate to change his name to George (our second choice)?
HappyGoLucky
HappyGoLucky

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeliwobble Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:57 am

No, some of the ones that were on the 'long' lists for dd2 and ds got 'are you sure?' out of my mother. Well, I did have Dorian and Valentin (still love that one!) on my list... With dd1 we had one boy and one girl name, it was so easy to name her!

No. My SiL decided to phone me up two days after ds was born and proceeded to tell me how much she hated his name. For an hour. Needless to say, he still has the same name. She's a stupid tart, my SiL. Rolling Eyes

No. I was the first one in my family to have a baby. The bigger problem, I think, is I've managed to steal all the good ones! My sisters (who are 10 and 14 years younger than me) have both moaned at me for not just giving my children one name but 3 each! Mind you, middle sis has said that she now doesn't like any of my names and is going with Evelyn. If she ever gets pg...

They're allowed to have opinions but I don't have to let them affect my decision. My eldest's name has a minor problem over here as it's spelled with an extra 'e' here, turning it into another name entirely. She is STILL on roll at school with it mis-spelled, even though I have asked several times for it to be changed. As she's moving to middle school in the fall, I need to make sure it's changed. My younger two have much more recognisable American names, so they haven't got a problem. But, seriously, I have to say dd1's name over and over again and they still stick the 'e' on the end!
Jeliwobble
Jeliwobble

Back to top Go down

Post  Henri Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:22 am

Colette: For me personally it's that pregnancy is not a very private thing. Everyone is all up in your business, all the time. Everyone wants to know all these details of this intensely personal and also very very public thing that is happening. I wanted to have something to keep to myself. I wanted something secret that only *I* had access to. I wanted to be the only one calling her by name while she was still inside me. I have a high risk preg and for the first 4 months I was under the care of about 5 sets of people, constantly being poked and prodded and tested and whatever, constantly being questioned and having to allow access to my entire body and my entire mind. It was highly invasive. Having something private and untouchable was really important to me. Having my baby belong to ME and not a 'team' of 60 people AND my husbands family was important to me. They've kind of ruined that though, and it makes me sad.

Jeliwobble: (Jo?) your SIL is a twunt.

I'm having a problem with my baby's name at the moment. The name we've chosen might get her a fair amount of comment when/if we move country and we're wondering if this is grounds for changing it, even though we're very attached to it. Blegh.
Henri
Henri

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeliwobble Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:32 am

LOL! It's not hard to guess the old fart from the US is me!

And, yes, twunt is such a wonderful, DESCRIPTIVE word... Twisted Evil

Does her name mean something in the language of where you are planning on living or is it just odd? If it's just odd, then don't sweat it. You will be a foreigner; you're supposed to have 'odd' names!
Jeliwobble
Jeliwobble

Back to top Go down

Post  Henri Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:05 am

It's not odd, nor does it mean anything bad, but it's the name of a city. Which is fine when said city is thousands and thousand and thousands of miles away and no one she is likely to come across has been there and most people are only vaguely aware it actually exists.
Not so fine when it is comparatively just down the road and everyone knows it.
I'm being silly, yes? Will people really even care?
I just had one of 'Those' names so I was hyper-aware when name-choosing that I wanted something nice and pretty, uncommon but not weird, that might receive compliments but not a huge amount of comment or attention. And then I go and stumble right into one of Those very names I tried so hard to avoid.
I refuse to change it though, we've already had one of her nappies embroidered with the name, AHAHA.
Henri
Henri

Back to top Go down

Post  EeeGee Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:07 pm

No everyone really liked both names actually! Or so they said!

Nope. We don't really have any on either side.

No. We have a SIL who is prone to do that (in fact she unwittingly took a couple from our short list without even knowing!!!) so we kept them to ourselves!!

Don't really care what other people think TBH. We were careful to make sure that they were names that both DH and I loved, but that also our children wouldn't grow up resenting us for! (Hopefully!) We went for normal, but not popular and I think we got it right. The middle names were names which had some meaning to us - Penny's middle name is my maternal grandma's middle name and Harriet's is a Catholic saint's name who holds a great significance for me. Oh and Penny is really Penelope just in case you were wondering!
EeeGee
EeeGee

Back to top Go down

Post  Smartiepants Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:34 pm

I picked quite a normal name for my first, but I still came accors negative comments from people who didn't like it! Just goes to show, you can't please everyone!
Smartiepants
Smartiepants

Back to top Go down

Post  Cadiva Thu May 07, 2009 10:11 pm

It was lucky Mike and I ended up with a boy because we cannot agree on girls' names at all. The only girls name we both like is Lilith, which my mother dislikes because she says it sounds lispy with OH's surname. Every girls name that I love, he hates and my all time favourite girls name of Eleanor, is the name of his sister, who he doesn't really get on great with!

Fortunately we ended up with James Alexander Lawrence. James is a family name on both sides of the family, Alexander we just both liked as it gave loads of nickname potential if he didn't want to be James, (then we found out it was Mike's paternal grandfather's middle name and he died in the Second World War so nice tribute) and Lawrence was after my maternal grandpop who died when I was 12.

If we have a girl, she will most likely be Lilith Elizabeth Mhari (pronounced Vhari), Lilith cos we both like it, Elizabeth as it is the name of my mum and also Mike's late mother, and Mhari or possibly Mairi, as it's a family name on Mike's side of the family down the female line.

Was quite funny when we got James registered at the hospital, the registrar comes in three mornings a week (Harrogate District Hospital this is) and when we told her James' name she said "thank God for giving him a proper name", which tickled us both.
Cadiva
Cadiva

Back to top Go down

Post  3for3 Thu May 07, 2009 11:29 pm

I think name choices are a very personal thing and I like the fact there are so many variances people choose. Of course I have preferences when it comes to name choices - We did think hard about our two and how they sounded, would they allow nicknames, be shortened and sound ok. We ended up going quite traditional with ours and also using family names as middle names. I think it would impact me if my family really hated a name choice..but tbh my family took the view that they would get used to any name choice and the child is more important than the name - so it made it easy.
I like both traditional and unusual names but cannot get into the celebrity culture of names.

On other forums I have seen people ask others opinions on name choices - I do think if you do that you should be prepared for honest replies. Not everyone will share your enthusiasm at times. I do agree with the others tho that it is not nice to be rude about choices.

With no3 on the way we have a boys name but cannot agree on a girls - previously it has been the other way round so maybe we'll have a boy this time!
3for3
3for3

Back to top Go down

Post  beadyeye Sat May 09, 2009 11:17 am

With all 3 kids there names have been chosen during Pg ( about the 2nd trimester) so everyone had time to get used to them but they are fairly traditional. With DD1 when I chose her name it wasn't all that popular but after I had her there seemed to be loads of them. DS even though it is a traditional name not many people have it , the same with DD2. Where my husband works there are photos of DD2 and some teenagers asked her name so hubby told tham and as they where walking away he heard them say I would never call my kid that. There is another pronunciation and a different letter to DD2 name which is more popular than hers but I love all my kids names, Though I did want my son to be named Conn but I gave in and let him have his dads name.

DD1 had a family name as her middle name ( we changed her name recently and it got dropped), DS1 has his fathers name and family name as a middle name and DD2 is named after her Granny and my aunt( first name) and my gran as a middle name.

Names are such a personal choice and as parents we are given the job of choosing our childs names, no one has the right to dis them

beadyeye
beadyeye

Back to top Go down

Post  Anybugger Sat May 09, 2009 4:54 pm

Oh God, I hate choosing childrens names, I have a large family (5 sisters) and they are all hugely opinionated.

I wanted Lara to be Beatrice, but they put so much pressure on Matt he refused Sad

Even now I still mourn the fact that I didn't dig my heels in!

I vowed that I would be impartial when they had children, then my sister got pg and wanted Joseph (after my grandad) or Elizabeth (after my gran). Both of these are included in my childrens name which doesn't bother me.

Apparently they have now chosen a name (its a boy) but i have asked not to be told until the baby is here in July.

Its a lot easier to react positively when there is a cute newborn looking at you!!
Anybugger
Anybugger

Back to top Go down

Post  cu2 Wed May 13, 2009 1:40 am

wots wrong with 'oi-u'
cu2
cu2

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down